I clicked on the Nix interview link provided by MWR and watched with growing interest as the video progressed. Go to 4:35 in the video and listen to Nix talk about the Indianapolis Colts. He talks somewhat dismissively about how they are a small defense built to play in the cozy confines of Lucas Oil Field. He dovetails that with talk about quarterbacks--how QBs in Buffalo have to possess great arm strength to deal with the elements. Nix also speaks to the need to get players who fit the scheme the new coach will run as opposed to simply hanging onto guys because they are under contract for whatever period of time. From this I surmise:
1. The Tampa 2 defense will not be employed by the Buffalo Bills in 2010.
2. Coaches, including Perry Fewell, who employ the Tampa 2 will not be seriously considered by the Bills.
3. The linebacking corps will receive a major overhaul and, barring injury, Keith Ellison will not start in 2010. The defensive line will likely be addressed as well, though I can see Buffalo adding a fat guy as opposed to replacing Williams or Stroud. A bigger DE will probably also be added.
4. The Bills will not be bringing in a noodle armed free agent QB, such as Chad Pennington, to hold the fort while the latest QB Of The Future gets his legs under him.
5. We are likely in store for one or more surprise trades/cuts in the offseason. I wouldn't be shocked to see Buffalo press Schobel to make a retirement decision sooner rather than later. Poz ought to be getting nervous. Maybin could be transitioned to LB....or dealt to another team.
6. If I'm anywhere in the ballpark of being right about the above Nix doesn't represent the status quo.