If anybody else just feels kind of speechless about the Gailey news, here's some other offseason stuff to talk about. First on Gailey, I am completely surprised by this even though nothing should be surprising anymore. I think Gailey is a good coach and I'm not mad that Buffalo hired him, but how Nix, Ralph, Brandon or anybody who might have had some input on this thought that Gailey was the best move they could make, I have no clue.
I don't know if anybody ever checks out mocking the draft, but they're in the process of doing a full 7 round draft where somebody from each SBNation site drafts for the team. I grabbed the Bills and we just finished the first round. I actually got my dates crossed and didn't make the pick, but the player they choose for me, Anthony Davis, would have likely been my pick anyways. What I'm really looking for is some input on what to do in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Here's how the first round went, including some interesting trades:
1) St. Louis Rams – Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2) Detroit Lions – Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
4) Washington Redskins – Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
5) Minnesota Vikings (from KC) – Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
6) Seattle Seahawks - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
7) Cleveland Browns- Joe Haden, CB, Florida
8) Oakland Raiders - Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
9) Buffalo Bills - Anthony Davis, OT, Rugters
10) Jacksonville Jaguars - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
11) Denver Broncos (from Chicago)- Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
12) Philadelphia Eagles (From MIA)- Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
13) San Francisco 49ers- Bryan Buluga, OT, Iowa
14) Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)- Bryan Price, DT, UCLA
15) New York Giants- Earl Thomas, S, Texas
16) Tennessee Titans- Donavan Warren, CB, Michigan
17) San Francisco 49ers- C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
18) Pittsburgh Steelers- Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
19) Green Bay Packers (from ATL)- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
20) Houston Texans- Taylor Mays, S, USC
21) Cincinnati Bengals- Damian Williams, WR, USC
22) New England Patriots- Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
23) Kansas City Chiefs (from ATL)- Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
24) Miami Dolphins- Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU
25) Baltimore Ravens- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
26) Arizona Cardinals- Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
27) Dallas Cowboys- Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
28) San Diego Chargers- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
29) New York Jets- Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State
30) Kansas City Chiefs (from Minn)- Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
31) Seattle Seahawks (from NO)- Charles Brown, OT, USC
32) Indianapolis Colts- Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
- The Chiefs trade the 5th overall pick to the Vikings for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.
- The Eagles trade their 1st, 2nd, and 5th round pick for the Dolphin's 1st round pick.
- The Giants traded their 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks to the Lions for their 2nd and 7th round picks.
- The Falcons traded their 1st round pick to the Packers for their 1st and 4th round picks.
- The Falcons have traded their 1st round pick and 3rd round pick to the Chiefs for their two 2nd round picks and a 4th round pick.
- The New Orleans Saints trade their 1st and 6th round picks tothe Seahawks for their 2nd, 4th, and 5th round picks.
For a little commentary, I thought that both the Vikings and Chiefs made the right move with the big trade, although that's not a lot of value for the 5th overall pick. The Chiefs move back up to grab Dan Williams more than justifies the trade down though.
Here are the players I'm considering for the 9th pick in the 2nd round, what do people think?
QB - Jevan Snead
QB - Tim Tebow
RB - Jahvid Best
WR - Brandon LaFell
WR - Arrelious Benn
G/C - Maurkice Pouncey
DE - Greg Hardy
DE - Carlos Dunlap
DE - Everson Griffen
DE - Jason Pierre-Paul
DE - Brandon Graham
DE - Coorey Wooten
DT - Arthur Jones
LB - Sean Witherspoon
LB - Navorro Bowman
LB - Sean Lee
LB - Daryl Washington
I'm leaning away from QB even though Buffalo is desperate for one. I'll probably end up taking the best DE/DT/WR available, although Weatherspoon and Pouncey are right in the mix too. Who is everybody's favorite and least favorite DE left? Who's better, Benn or LaFell?
I'm also curious what positions Rumblers think needs to be addressed by the third round. If I don't grab a QB here, do I need to reach on one even if guys like Colt McCoy and Tony Pike are gone? Is a best available that fills a hole approach still the way to go in the 3rd, even if I grab defense here and the BPA is an outside LB like Rennie Curran or a 2nd OT like Jason Fox or a DT who isn't a fatty like Lamar Houston?
I'll take any and all thoughts, advice or whatever people have to say about this round or the rest of the mock into consideration.