I've never had a player who I've had such differing feelings about depending on the situation. I'll start from the beginning of my awareness of him.
- 2005 or 2006. Clausen is probably the biggest HS recruit out there. ESPN does a story on him being the next big thing. My reaction: If he's as great as they say, I wish SU wasn't so bad and could recruit that type of player. Dude's got a gun.
- 2006. Clausen commits to Notre Dame. My reaction: God, I hate Notre Dame. I hope he sucks worse than his brothers. Maybe he'll get Weis fired, which wouldn't be such a bad thing.
- 2008. Syracuse beats Clausen and Notre dame, becoming the first 8-loss team ever to beat ND. My reaction: YESSSSS!!!!! This almost makes up for the entire rest of the season of crapitude! Take that, you bum!
- 2010 NFL draft, Day 1. Talk is that Clausen is going to be a 1st round pick, and the Bills are seeking a QB. He's gone to the Bills in many mocks that I've read. My reaction: Well, as much as I'll hate rooting for a golden-domer, I guess it'll be nice to finally have a QB to develop. I still think we should go OT or DL first.
- 2010 NFL draft, Day 2. Clausen has fallen to the 2nd round and the Bills are picking next. My reaction: Yes! Biggest draft steal ever! We're getting a 1st rounder in round 2! When has this ever happened to our team? Clau-sen! Clau-sen!
- 5 minutes later. The Bills select Torell Troup. My reaction: Who? I definitely didn't expect him before Clausen and Cody. Well, hopefully Buddy knows what he's doing. At least I don't have to root for Clausen.
- Week 3, 2010 NFL season. Clausen is getting his first start in the NFL. My reaction: God, I hope he sucks. I hope he fails miserably. I'm not sure if I can handle him becoming another star that the Bills missed out on. Prove to us that Nix knows what he's doing.
- Today. The Bills beat the Lions on Sunday and they have the identical 1-8 record as Clausen's Panthers. My reaction: Come on, Jimmy. You can do it. Give the Panthers a couple more victories and then you can go back to stinking. I don't wanna go through another double-digit loss season and end up missing out on the best QB prospect to come out in years because you have colossally underperformed. You can do it, JC.