With Marc Bulger set to sign on with Baltimore for over 3 million as a backup this season, it appears likely that Troy Smith won't get his chance in Baltimore. While it's highly suspect (to me) that Bulger is a better option to back up Flacco than Smith is, the reality is that they feel better with the oft-injured vet.
We tend to have our fair share of "let's sign this guy" posts pop up here once a guy is released, i'm aware. That being said, i'd like to gauge interest in the Rumblings community for Troy Smith. Afterall, he is a QB who had a rather decorated college resume, taking over as the starter early in his sophmore year.
Let's look at his stats, but try and focus in on 2005-2006 (stats courtesy of Wikipedia):
|Year||Games||Attempts||Completions||Comp %||Yards||TDs||Interception||QB Rating|
In looking at his stats, and knowing the type of QB he appears to be, Is Smith someone Gailey might consider a valuable commodity? Would he be a wise investment for the Bills?
- Certainly he's considered by some to be of the McNabb, Young, Flutie, and Vick mold. That's good or bad, depending on how you view a mobile QB.
- Unfortunately he's "small" at 6 ft. That hasn't stopped other QBs. Physically and ability-wise, he reminds me most of Fran Tarkenton (same height, a scrambler, etc).
- Sadly though, he hasn't won anything in the NFL, a stark contrast from his time at Ohio State.
- He only started for 2 seasons in college.
- He was 25-2 as a starter.
- He graduated with a degree in communications. We know the current regime places some emphasis on character, and it appears on guys actually completing their 4-year degree.
- He would bring some sense of past accomplishment to this team.
- He may be VERY hungry.
Tell me what you think of possibility bringing in someone like Troy Smith to compete as the starter in Buffalo. Who would you like to see the team sacrifice? Is it too concerning that he's been dealing with tonsil problems for a few years now, possibly stunting his professional growth? Was it unfair of him to "lose" his shot because of that and Flacco? (Not in my book.)
If I'm Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix, i'm likely considering a trade for him. He might very well fit into the scheme they plan to implement.