It's been 97 days since the point in time during the 2010 NFL Draft that it became apparent the Buffalo Bills would be holding an open competition for starting quarterback. Those 97 days were fraught with speculation, rumors, and opinions on which of the team's three incumbents should get the job. While the competition is still in full swing, we finally know which of those QBs will be running with the first-team offense during training camp, thus getting a slight advantage on his competitors.
Trent Edwards is that quarterback. The decision is hardly unexpected.
Rookie receiver let the cat out of the bag; Edwards will get first-team reps at this afternoon's practice, the first of many to come at St. John Fisher College this summer. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the second-team quarterback, with Brian Brohm running with the threes.
Gailey was careful to mention frequently that his "pecking order" means very little in the long term, and that it only exists so that the coaches can prepare each quarterback to the best of his abilities this summer. Practices and, more importantly, pre-season games will decide the ultimate starter, but there's also little question that Edwards will benefit slightly from this decision.
Matt Warren will be at the early portions of camp today, and he'll be reporting back as much as he can regarding lineups before he (regrettably) cuts out early. Lineup updates and such from MRW after the jump.
We'll just bullet-point some of the more noteworthy items rolling in from Bills camp:
- Demetrius Bell is running with the first team at left tackle over Ed Wang. Jamon Meredith is the second-team right tackle behind Cornell Green.
- Steve Johnson, we think, is getting first-team reps at wide receiver, with Fred Jackson at running back.
- Roscoe Parrish was the first slot receiver to rotate through.
- Shawn Nelson is the first-team tight end.
- Paul Posluszny, Keith Ellison, Nic Harris and Jon Corto are not participating.
- Andra Davis and Kawika Mitchell are the ones at inside linebacker.
- Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin are the ones at cornerback.
- Jairus Byrd and Donte Whitner are lining up as the starting safeties.
- Aaron Maybin and Chris Kelsay are lined up with the first team at OLB.
- The Bills are in full pads for this practice.