So I'm not the type to make excuses for the Bills, but in reality I do feel there are a few that can be made. The game is won on the field, but take the following into consideration with the team, after the jump.
- Kyle Williams is now on IR, and was playing with an injury prior to this designation. Although he wasn't providing statistics like last season, this obviously hurts the defense.
- Merriman out for the season does hurt the team - his presence required attention from the opposition.
- Chris Kelsay has missed an extended period of time, and was having a decent season. He had been very active early on this season, and the team needs him back soon.
- Stevie Johnson has been hampered by injury and the flu over the past few weeks.
- Donald Jones missed time with injury, and may have come back a bit too soon.
- The injuries to Bell and Hairston have caused issues on the O-line. If Wood does miss time, we need to hope that at least one of these two get back asap.
All teams in the NFL have injured players, but this does provide a little clarity, especially as all fans were disheartened with yesterday's effort. The Miami game should be telling, and provides a bounce-back opportunity for the team.
Some things I would like to see moving forward would have to include:
- More use of CJ Spiller - he is a threat on the field, and liked the looks when he lined up at receiver while Jones was out.
- More targets for Scott Chandler - he has sure hands, is good after the catch, and seems to have a rapport with Fitz. In the passing game he should continue to be an option.
- Set up the offense with the run. I don't care how many points the team is down, they are most effective when running the ball. Fred Jackson was effective running the ball yesterday, but we seem to be a pass-first team. The offense runs through Fred.
- Opposing defenses seem to be prepared for the Bills screen passes -might be time to add a new wrinkle or two.
My head hurts - onto Miami.