After watching this season slip away here is what would help next season better.
1. Fire George Edwards. He had two seasons to put into place a defense that can handle the AFC East. He did not so give Wannstedt the chance. He is proven and we would be better.
2. Let Roscoe Parrish, Donald Jones, Chris Kelsey, Tyler Thigpen, and Terrance Mcgee go. Later will explain Parrish and Jones. Kelsey has a big heart but no sacks. the OLB in our system has to hit the quarterbacks and get sacks. He does not he is gone. Mcgee cannot stay healthy nuff said. Thigpen will be explained later.
3. Sign Vincent Jackson to #1 WR money. Sign Stevie Johnson and Fred Jackson. This can be done. Stevie is a solid #2 WR and would be a compliment to Jackson. Fred just needs to get a front loaded 5 year/25 million deal paying him 18 over the first 3 years. With the Vincent Jackson signing it makes Parrish and Jones expendable.
4. Make Brad Smith the #2 QB. I know this sounds radical but think about it. He can really learn to throw during the preseason and can still come in and run the wildcat but he could throw out of it. Scary thing to think about for opposing defenses. Thigpen is just holding a clipboard and getting hit in the head with the football (see Washington tape).
5. Draft the best available pass rushing OLB's in the first two rounds of the draft. I want players who have done this more than one season. Maybin should not have been a Buffalo Bill. We need that more than anything. We have a defensive line when healthy. We have a solid secondary but we cannot get after the passer. The rest of the draft can go after the best CB, QB, and OL and DL available. Speed and experience being a priority.
6. Keep Bell and Merriman. Bell maybe a better bet to start on the right side of the line. Merriman, if the price is right, can help with a pass rush.
If the Bills front office did this we would be in the playoffs next year.