KANSAS CITY MO - OCTOBER 31: Wallace Gilberry #92 of the Kansas City Chiefs strips the ball from the hands of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick #14 of the Buffalo Bills during the game on October 31 2010 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Just as we did in our reviews of the Jacksonville and Baltimore games, we'll break down the game by halves, starting with the first half - in which the Bills were competitive, but still trailed the Chiefs at the half.
Week 8, first half: Chiefs lead Bills 7-0 - NOTES
- Andra Davis late to recognize play-action and drop, giving Leonard Pope ample room to gain first-down yardage.
- Bills are burned on yet another reverse play when Jamaal Charles, lined up wide, follows Tony Moeaki on a long sweep.
- Arthur Moats puts a pretty spin move on Branden Albert, hitting Matt Cassel on 3rd & 7 to force a drive-ending incompletion.
Week 8, first half: Chiefs lead Bills 7-0 - NOTES (continued)
- Derrick Johnson reads Ryan Fitzpatrick like a book pre-snap, jumping a route and dropping what would've been a pick-six.
- Fitzpatrick hit by a Chiefs defender for an incompletion when Cordaro Howard can't sustain his block at right tackle.
- Fitzpatrick connects with Stevie Johnson on 3rd & 10 for first-down yardage. Really nice timing pattern. Ball was out before Johnson made his break.
- Roscoe Parrish catches a Fitzpatrick bullet on 3rd & 11 for first-down yardage. Parrish finds a hole in the zone between three defenders. Fitzpatrick had terrific protection.
- Tamba Hali burns Demetrius Bell to the inside, and Fred Jackson can't get a good chip on him. On the other side of the formation, Andy Studebaker beats Howard with a simple speed rush. Fitzpatrick had no shot, and is sacked.
- Paul Posluszny takes on a fullback in the hole, sheds, stops Charles after a three-yard gain. This is something he needs to do much, much more.
- Posluszny comes in a run blitz, stops Thomas Jones at the line of scrimmage.
- Brian Moorman makes a great catch on a wide long snap from Garrison Sanborn. Moorman hit, running into the kicker called, Bills drive sustained.
- Wallace Gilberry is the latest Chief to make Howard look like a statue. Gilberry hits Fitzpatrick, forcing a fumble that Fitzpatrick scrambles to recover. (This play pictured at the top of the post.)
- Hali blows by Howard; Howard tackles him on an obvious hold that goes uncalled. Brandon Carr makes a pretty pass break-up on an otherwise good-looking throw and route from Fitzpatrick and Johnson.
- Dwan Edwards perfectly defends a designed screen pass to Moeaki. Chiefs play-calling has been extremely suspect.
- Brian Waters dominates Kyle Williams at the point of attack, driving Buffalo's best defender three yards backwards.
- George Wilson drops a terrible Cassel throw on an interception opportunity that simply can't be dropped. Ball was in the middle of his strike zone.
- Williams shoots a gap, Posluszny follows, and they stop Jones at the line of scrimmage.
- Good coverage allows Williams to beat a double-team and sack Cassel on a fourth-down opportunity. Todd Haley passed up a 37-yard field goal on this play.
- Eric Wood flagged for a false start, turning a 2nd & 8 into a 2nd & 13. Bills have been in long-yardage situations all day.
- Fitzpatrick short-arms a simple dump-off on a screen play that Jackson could've turned into a moderate gain.
- Pressured by a blitzing Chiefs safety, Fitzpatrick throws off of his back foot and C.J. Spiller can't haul in a bullet on a screen pass that, frankly, was set up so perfectly that Spiller might've scored on it.
- Torell Troup gets low and slips Waters to the inside, forcing Jones to cut it back into the pile.
- Akin Ayodele sits on a two-yard pass route intended for Pope on 3rd & 1, breaks it up to bring up fourth down. Another weird play-call by the Chiefs.
- Corey McIntyre can't stick to Hali in the hole, allowing Hali to make the play on a Spiller run that could've been a long gainer.
- Spiller makes a jab cut to the outside on a simple run in the B gap, setting up his blockers perfectly. Then he undoes all of that nice work by fumbling.
- Donald Jones puts a serious lick on Javier Arenas on a punt. Steve Tasker, calling the game with Gus Johnson: "Give me a moment while I have a flashback."
- Chiefs get Charles out on Posluszny in coverage singled up. Shocker: Charles turns a short pass into a huge gain.
- Williams, Chris Kelsay and Reggie Torbor all whiff as Charles picks up a huge chunk of yardage down to the Bills' one-yard line.
- Dwayne Bowe makes it look easy, posting up Drayton Florence on a simple fade pass from Cassel. 7-0 Chiefs.
- Fitzpatrick airmails David Nelson on a pass that easily could've been intercepted.
- Gilberry called for roughing the passer (blow to the head) that extends the Bills' drive. Chiefs mistakes have prevented this lead from being much bigger.
- Hali blows up Howard, then Wood pushes Hali into Fitzpatrick's ankles. Fitzpatrick sacked.