I'm known for being something less than upbeat, more like one of the site curmudgeons. However, I've got to say that I've been delighted here lately for several reasons:
- Football is back. The inane lockout/sham lawsuit are behind us. The offseason is in abbreviated full swing and the pace has been downright dizzying.
- I love love love love love love the rookie wage scale. Guys are getting signed left and right. No longer will we have to wonder about whether or not a guy should be drafted because he's a holdout risk. (Think Crabtree.) Dareus is getting something like $20 million guaranteed over four years--he probably would have gotten at least that much as just a signing bonus if he'd been drafted in 2009.
- I'm warming up to the Brad Smith signing. He can be that 46th active player and be the emergency QB without having to enter the game only when both other QBs get hurt. He'll add versatility to an offense that already had quite a bit in Parrish and Spiller. More to the point, CHIX stole him from the Jets, thereby weakening a division foe.
- With the CB situation being what it is (McGee always gimpy, McKelvin hit-or-miss, Corner apparently misnamed...) the Florence signing makes sense.
- I'd have preferred to have kept Poz but he wanted to play in a 4-3. At least the guy didn't throw a Haynesworth type hissy fit last year when the defense went to 3-4 looks at least some of the time. I wish him well in Jacksonville.
- Losing out on Clabo hurts but I suspect that CHIX isn't done looking for a RT. The talk about being happy with the OTs on the roster has been shown to be exactly that. It will be interested to see who gets brought in but it doesn't bode well for Wang. I wouldn't even count on Wrotto being on the final roster.
- I read somewhere this morning (PFT?) that dead cap money can be counted against the 2012 cap. In theory, Kelsay could be dropped if Buffalo finds a better option. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are lots of better OLBs out there but they'd have to be better to the point that Kelsay's locker room sway would no longer be enough to retain him.
- I like that CHIX isn't overpaying guys from other teams. I'd be curious to see how much the Bills have left to play with--and how much of that will go to extending guys like Johnson and Fitz.