FanPost

Article I wrote on Colin Kaepernick back in Sep 2010 on this site, wish Buddy listened to me

I even called Luck, Mallett, and Locker correctly in the comments section. I was also on record on my twitter account (@viciousv__) saying we need to draft Russell Wilson no later than the 3rd round. Buddy, hit me with a phone call, I'm available for scouting.

After watching the Nevada game last night, it all makes sense now 12

While watching the Nevada vs California game last night, a sudden thought dawned on me. It was like a realization hit me square in the face, and all of a sudden I could see exactly what our braintrust is trying to do. more after the jump

If you've never watched Nevada play, then do yourself a favor and catch them at some point this year. The offense they run is down right prolific. Now, part of this is because of the system they use which, if you watched the Bills game last week, you would recognize as the "Pistol Offense". This is an offense that was created by Chris Ault, the head coach of Nevada. Chan Gailey was the first to bring this style of offense to the NFL, employing it when he was in Kansas City in 2008 with Tyler Thigpen as his qb. Here are some qualities we know that Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix look for in a qb, based on their history and comments they've made since January.

Chan's checklist

1. Loves quaterbacks that are mobile
  2. Loves accurate quarterbacks
  3. Loves quarterbacks that can read defenses
  4. Loves the pistol offense and qbs who can run it (see our first game and the offense he employed in 2008 with Tyler Thigpen)

Buddy's checklist

1. Quarterback must be a proven winner and can display that over a large body of work (think Phillip Rivers, 50 something career college starts, mvp of bowl games)
  2. Must display he has a strong arm to battle the Buffalo winds

So based on these qualities, what quarterback makes more sense then Colin Kaepernick? He is 6'6'' and one of the most mobile qb's in college football today. He posseses great speed and elusive in his running approach. He litteraly glides like a gazzelle on the field with the long leg strides he takes. He's in his 5th year of running the pistol offense at Nevada, and could potentially make a seemless transition into the pro game if we were to run this style offense. He is almost as athletic as Kordell Stewart, but posesses a way more accurate arm and better arm speed. I sat on my couch litteraly laughing out loud thinking about this possibility as Nevada was taking Cal out behind the woodshed in Reno last night.

Colin also posseses a ridiculously strong arm, as he was recruited by MLB and would have been drafted if not for the fact they knew he was going to play college football. He was routinely clocked at 94 mph on the radar gun, and at a college camp this past summer, he had an impressive showing, drawing praise from various NFL and ESPN personel including former NY Giants QB Jesse Palmer who said of Kaepernick, "By far, the strongest arm in the camp".

The writing is on the wall guys, I dont see any way were not drafting him next year. Try to watch as many Nevada games as you can this year and get a feel for his game. You'll definitely like what you see out there. He litteraly looks like a man among boys on the field, and with a little coaching, I believe could be a dangerous NFL qb.

-Vicious

Just another great fan opinion shared on the pages of BuffaloRumblings.com. FACEBOOK TWITTER 12 COMMENTS

RECENT FANPOSTS

What do you like this weekend? Week 12 How about Aaron Curry? 2009 vs. 2012: Defense Edition John Murphy is delusional 2009 vs. 2012: Offense Edition

THE NEXT FANPOSTS

THERE ARE 12 COMMENTS.SHOW SPEED READING TIPS & SETTINGS ↓

Kaepernick's OK

I’d rather have Locker or Jerrod Johnson, who also fit all those criteria.

And, talking about Nevada, how about Dontay Moch at OLB? He gets a “wow” for me on speed.

Starting the official Buffalo "Draft Owen Marecic in 2011" campaign.

by Jason Pieri on Sep 18, 2010 4:55 AM PDT actions

Thanks for the tip, V. I’ll check out Nevada next week.

"Adversity is an opportunity for heroism." Marv Levy.

by SERGEANT MAJOR THOR on Sep 18, 2010 5:05 AM PDT actions

We Need A QB?

Home of "Spiller the Thriller"

by buffalobacker on Sep 18, 2010 7:49 AM PDT actions 1 recs

Hahahaha

by Dr. Brackish Okun on Sep 18, 2010 7:55 AM PDT up actions

Sounds good, especially where we will pick… might even nab him in the 2nd if he’s under the radar… LT and QB in the same draft would be nice

"YOU WILL HAVE NO MORE SOUL(,) WE ARE THE SOUL TAKERS" - abayarde

Go Bills!

by killascript on Sep 18, 2010 9:12 AM PDT actions

Wow doesn't scream Jake Locker

"Your favorite kind of cake can't be birthday cake, that's like saying your favorite kind of cereal if breakfast cereal."- Parks and Recreation

by atlantalove on Sep 18, 2010 9:38 AM PDT actions

Could actually be a better bet than Locker for what Gailey has in mind. This guy definitely bears watching

by Macktruck on Sep 18, 2010 11:28 AM PDT up actions

To have a winning record

a team need to go atleast 9-7

"I'm gonna get drunk and play video games till my eyes bleed"- It's Always Sunny in Philly

by KINGSLYTUT on Sep 18, 2010 10:07 AM PDT actions

Not 7-9?

Oh, That’s what we’ve been doing wrong! ;)

"This is what happens Larry!, This is what happens! "-Walter Sobchak" "Did we give up when the germans bombed pearl harbor!!??"-John Belushi

by BigEasyBillsKrewe on Sep 18, 2010 10:57 AM PDT actions

Sorry, don't agree.

If Andrew Luck comes out early, he’s the pick. Otherwise, it’s Ryan Mallet.

Forget Locker.

Our Wang don’t Hang; it’s a Calloway Wood cause we got Levitre.

by ChipShot on Sep 18, 2010 12:47 PM PDT actions

Best qbs coming out

Without a doubt, Andrew Luck will be the best qb coming out of college this year. He’s not that mobile but he is NFL ready and can make all the throws, plus he’s extremely smart. Also, being coached under Captain Comeback just inproves his pedigree that much more. The 2nd best qb is Mallett, but you have to wonder about his intangibles, his leadership is definitely questionable at best. Kaepernick is a flat out winner, and is the most mobile qb of the bunch, even more so then Locker if you ask me. You can just tell by Kaepernicks on field demeanor he could be a solid NFL qb if given the chance and the proper coaching.

Jake Locker just doesnt have the “it” factor. I’m watching this game right now and he looks TERRIBLE vs Nebraska. Now, the Black Shirt defense can do that to qb’s, but if he cant figure out this defense how in the hell can he figure out an NFL defense? He has bust written all over him, and Chix has sniffed that out like a blue tick hound dog. No way we draft him, not even a chance. If we do, we’ll set our franchise back an additional 5-6 years. IMHO, Luck is the only qb worth a first round pick. So basically its Luck, and if we dont get him, I’d like to pick up Kapaernick for sure.

-Vicious

You'll Never Walk Alone

by Vicious V on Sep 18, 2010 2:16 PM PDT actions

My pick in 2011?

I’d pick Mallet. I watched the game earlier today and I must say this guy is going to be exciting to see in a Bills uniform. We should trade Lynch for a 3rd round and maybe if we could squeeze in a 6 or 7 round pick. Chan and Buddy let me show you how to get ya hustle on!!

by KHWALA72 on Sep 18, 2010 7:17 PM PDT actions

Comments for this post are closed, bro.

SB Nation SBNU v1.0.6, November 6, 2012GUIDING PRINCIPLES - TERMS OF USE - PRIVACY POLICY Vox Media © 2012 VOX MEDIA, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Just another great fan opinion shared on the pages of BuffaloRumblings.com.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Join Buffalo Rumblings

You must be a member of Buffalo Rumblings to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Buffalo Rumblings. You should read them.

Join Buffalo Rumblings

You must be a member of Buffalo Rumblings to participate.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker