As 4 pm approached and the start of a new NFL season was on the verge, I tried convincing myself that Levitre will not leave us. But alas at 4:03pm, as I kept refreshing my twitter account - "yada yada yada reporting the Titans have agreed to terms with former Bills G Andy Levitre." Yes tears did begin to flow from my eyes, which were somewhat slowed down when at 4:05pm Ryan Fitzpatrick had officially been released by the Bills, only to flowing faster when I came to realize the wonderful $10,000,000 in dead space he is leaving us with in 2014.
Whatever, I must deal. There are a couple guys out there that could help our team out such as LBs Kruger and Ellerbe, TE Jared Cook, and G Louis Vasquez. Another refresh at 4:10 and all were off to other teams.
The following words flowed from my vocal cords (@#$* @#(*@ U(%)*J ^*$($)@/.
I read Brian's tweets to calm myself down and think about what lies ahead. Brian said "I have yet to see one free agent sign with a new team today that wasn't gratuitously overpaid. Glad the #Bills are taking their time." But just don't know how much I could believe. We are only creating more holes for our roster. Now we needs a QB, WR, G, OLB/DE, CB, ILB - Sweet.
I head over to SI and check out Don Bank's latest article about NFL decision makers - Best NFL Decision Makers
Start thinking to myself - these great franchises did not win superbowl's through free agency, rather the draft. However they DID have their QB.
I still believe that free agency allows a team to fill in needs - so the team can go into the NFL draft selecting the BPA regardless of position.
With that in mind - There are still a few guys out there that could be a potential target on the Bills radar. They include:
- Phillip Wheeler OLB - Raiders
- Connor Barwin OLB - Texans
- Shawn Phillips OLB - Chargers
- Manny Lawson OLB - Bengals
- Calvin Pace OLB - Jets
- Larry Grant ILB - 49ers
- Bart Scott - ILB - Jets
- Ray Mauluga ILB - Bengals
- Karlos Dansby - ILB Dolphins
- Greg Jennings WR - Packers
- Brandon Gibson WR - Rams
Moving onto the draft - A few thoughts
- The top of the first round is absolutely LOADED with DL/LB talent
- The QB Class is NOT deep but there is one franchise QB available
- WR class is very deep
- This year's draft may not seam as "sexy" as in the past few drafts but it has fundamentally sound players that can provide an important core to teams, all the way into deep rounds
With all that being said here are my favorite players to target w the first two picks
- ROUND ONE - Matt Barkley (QB) - USC...Dion Jordan (DE/OLB) - Oregan...Dee Milliner (CB) - Alabama...Jarvis Jones (OLB) - Georgia
- ROUND TWO -
EJ Manuel (QB) - Florida St...
Tyler Bray (QB) - Tennessee
WRs - Justin Hunter, Quinton Peyton, Terrance Williams, Ryan Swope
OLB - Jamie Collins