We are one week from the NFL draft and its the time of year where you cannot believe anything that comes out of teams, however Nix has been fairly honest and straightforward in recent years so the comments he made today could be true or smokescreen.
Lets take a look at some of the comments:
1) He said the Bills are open to trading back and that they will answer all calls. I believe this is true.
2) He said the Bills believe there is a QB worth taking at 8. I believe this is smokescreen.
3) He said he feels they are better at LB than most people think. I hope this is smokescreen.
4) Whaley said they have Tavon Austin very high on their radar. This smells of an intentional smokescreen to help them with what Nix said with his no 1 point. The Jets, Buccaneers, Rams, and Vikings have all been linked to WRs. I think the Bills would love to get either the Rams or Vikings who each have two 1st round picks to bite on a trade. They could realistically trade back to the Rams pick at 22 or the Vikings pick at 23, pick either Barkley or Nassib who I don't see being picked at this point, and pick up an extra 2nd and extra 3rd round pick in the process. This would allow to grab a WR like Robert Woods and a LB like Jamie Collins in the second and then a TE like Vance McDonald and a CB like Tyrann Mathieu with the second 3rd.
5) Nix said the Bills are still high on Marcus Easley. This is his fourth year and could this pan out similar to the route Stevie Johnson took. If you recall, Jaroun languished Johnson on the bench and it wasn't until Gailey arrived and recognized what he had in Johnson that he broke the starting lineup. Could Easley find a similar situation with Gailey languishing him to the bench with Marrone seeing the talent he has and giving him a chance to start. Afterall, he is in his 4th year and would be a better option than a rookie.
So, lets talk about the comments today. Are they truth or smokescreen?