Good morning Bills Fan,
I wish I had more time to really hash out this topic, so I'm hoping you guys can carry the conversation further in the comments section.
The day before yesterday, ESPN had an article on its site in which former MLB reliever John Rocker was quoted in saying that PEDs made for a better game. Now for those of you who don't know or remember who John Rocker is/was, he's notably known as the Closer for the Atlanta Braves during 1998-2001 season. He's also known for making some really racially insensitive remarks, and admitting to steroid use in 2011 in the Mike Silva New York Baseball Digest article.
"Yeah, of course I was using steroids. I mean who wasn't? Let’s be honest here, who wasn't?"
Once again, Rocker opened up about steroid use.
"Honestly, and this may go against what some people think from an ethical standpoint, I think it was the better game," Rocker said on Cleveland's 92.3 The Fan, a CBS affiliate. "At the end of the day when people are paying their $80, $120, whatever it may be, to buy their ticket and come watch that game, it's almost like the circus is in town.
- I pay over a thousand dollars a year on my sports addiction to be entertained
- I enjoyed professional wrestling as a youth mainly because of the steroid induced athletes (Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior), and stopped watching after they cracked down on steroids in the 90's
- "Chicks dig the long ball". I was really in to baseball when Sosa, Bonds, and McGwire was hitting 50, 60, and 70 HR's in a season. My brother and I would go to Met games at least once a month; I haven't been to a game since the whole BALCO/Jose Canseco fiasco. I can barely watch a game from the beginning to the end nowadays
- The only time that I ever watched cycling was when Lance Armstrong was winning all of those Tour De France titles; now I can't even tell you who has won the last title
- I loved track and field growing up. Seeing Michael Johnson, Maurice Green, and Marion Jones win all of those gold medals was exciting for me, now I don't even watch
Okay so that's the end of my rant :-). This post is a vintage Morning Joe! so I know I'm going to get killed for it, but its the truth. Some of our favorite sports has been at its best because of the presence of PEDs, so lets not sit on our high horse and act holier than thou. We love our athletes to be Bigger, Stronger, and Faster, so lets embrace it.