I have some time today, so I decided to throw up a fan post. I'm working inside of a NATO headquarters in Kabul as a futures planner... can't really say more than that. Long hours, lots of important changes over here. But enough with that... I haven't been able to closely follow the Bills, but here are some of my thoughts/questions:
- I think McKelvin is going to have a good season as a CB. He never really excelled in the zone / match-up zones that the Bills ran under Jauron and Gailey. He's probably best as a man corner, where he's reacting and not thinking through the way the zones work. McKelvin is more athlete than anything else, and man coverage seems like his thing.
- Is Pettine running a straight 3-4, or is the defense going truly multiple and giving lots of different looks?
- For those who are watching training camp, how is Buffalo using Mario and Kyle Williams? They're not good fits in a 3-4 in a big picture point of view. How has Pettine fit them in? Is Mario standing up as an OLB? Is Kyle playing NT, 5T DE, or 3T DT? Basically, has Pettine morphed the defense around the players?
- It sounds like Aaron Williams is making a good transition to SS?
- The youth at WR seems really good. Graham and Goodwin with speed, Woods and Rogers as well-rounded WRs. It seems like the Bills might be able to go into some 5 WR sets and really stress defenses in a year or two. Has Hackett played receivers in standardized positions, e.g.: speed to the outside, Johnson and Woods in the slot?
- Has Hackett run a lot of read-option with Manuel?
- I'm interested in seeing how Manuel plays against the first string defense that's using it's full blitz package. That'll be an interesting sign of how things are progressing for him.
Thanks! Take care.