So here I am not able to fall asleep thinking what should the Bills do. Well, now that Day 1 of free agency has come and the Byrd has flown the coop, this should be an interesting next few days. Other than the impending craziness of the Revis situation and Ware's suitors, these are my thoughts on what Buffalo should do:
1. Sign Thomas Decoud
2. Sign Alex Mack (and move Wood to LG and shore up the line with Unga and McClain as the reserves). Offer up more upfront money so that Cleveland won't want to match it (but could make it a longer deal too)
3. Sign a MLB- Could be Spikes or Beason on the higher end or someone like McClain on the lower end. Depends on how they do with signing someone like Mack, but feel a dependable guy at good price is their plan.
4. Sign a CB- Carroll, Graham on the lower end. Carlos Rogers, Cromartie on higher end. I say go with Carroll
5. Let the market continue to flesh itself out and see if price of Strief comes down for manageable 2-3 year deal. If so, sign him to give more flexibility with the draft (also considering that the Falcons upgraded the D-Line rumor is they could now go for Robinson or Mathews at pick 6 in the draft)
6. If #5 happens, cut Pears immediately
7. Let the market for DE's and TE's to flesh itself out. If market drops prices into reasonable level, look to sign a TE first. If not a TE, then look to a DE like Robert Ayers (still young, good run defender, ok pass rusher) to team with Hughes.
8. Look for filler free agents/special teams/camp bodies.
Now I know that seems like a lot, but if they wisely let the market drive down the prices for TE, DE, LB, CB, and RT over the next few days and making use of the Byrd savings to make Alex Mack the big signing and bring in Decoud on a modest deal, they could do a lot to improve the team. Not only could it be possible to upgrade the line and not drop off the secondary too much, but then bring in reasonable free agents at LB, CB, RT, and TE or DE and set themselves up for BPA at 9, Depth/future starter in Rds 2 & 3, then depth the rest of the way.