When drafting a prospect in the 1st round, general managers are looking for a guy who can potentially do it all at his position. Someone who they can plug in and develop and potentially become elite by the end of his 1st or 2nd year of his career. The reason why I make this statement is because there is some sort of admiration towards a guy like Mike Evans who a lot of draft "experts" and fans would love the Bills to draft. I just don’t see it happening.
Let me give you my personal opinion and analysis of Mike Evans strictly as a fan who just wants the best for his team, just like all of my fellow Bills fans. I watched 6 games of every snap of Mike Evans and this is what I came away with:
1) Mike is big, very big in height.
2) Fights for every yard after the catch.
3) Very tough to tackle one on one if you’re a defensive back.
4) O.k. blocker, he benefits from his long frame.
5) Can make the occasional tough catch near the sideline
6) His straight line speed is very deceiving, because of his long strides. The man can flat out fly!
7) Dominates the "go" route and post route.
8) Has the occasional "wow" catch.
1) Not someone who you want to throw screens to.
2) Not as agile as you would like for a man his size
3) Very inconsistent hands when going across the middle.
4) Slows down and braces for contact when catching the ball over the middle.
5) For a man his size the ratio for the "one on one" jump balls should be 60/40 or 70/30, not 50/50. Just from what I saw.
6) Not as explosive off the line as you would like.
7) To get separation he has to use his hands a lot when breaking off his route. (Illegally, ex. shoving a defensive back to gain separation.)
8) Benefits a lot from Johnny Manziel’s ability to escape the rush, run around, and throw it deep. In which causes a breakdown in coverage because the defensive backs turn their eyes back to the line of the scrimmage.
In summary, this is a very general, and bland evaluation in describing my own opinion of Mike Evans. Which is, the guy is a playmaker who uses his body frame to his advantage from time to time. While there are very good things about Mike’s game, there are a lot of flaws in his game that will be glaring at the next level. Drafting someone in the 1st round or even 2nd just because they have one specific trait that is greater than the other prospects is something I hope Doug Whaley does not do, but something you do in the later rounds. By the way don’t we already have guys like Stevie, Robert, and Goodwin? (Yes, I can’t spell his first name, sue me.) If we were to draft Evans in the 1st round, that means we are expecting to see him on the field, as a starter. We need depth and height, and we can find out our guy in the 3rd or 4th round. Don't believe me?Just watch.
If we were to draft Mike, I would have no issue with it. In my mind the more weapons the better and we can find out if Ej is our guy or not. But I just don’t see us drafting him. By the way, to end this I would like to give you my top 10 prospects that I would like the Bills to draft from a realistic standpoint and unrealistic but possible stand point. The prospects are from who I would want the most and down.
1) Jadeveon Clowney
2) Sammy Watkins
3) Khalil Mack
4) Eric Ebron
5) Greg Robinson
6) Jake Mathews
7) Mike Evans
8) Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix
9) Calvin Pryor
10) Taylor Lewan