Believe it or not, it's really not much more fun to break down the game when the Buffalo Bills win than it is when they lose. Sure, there's the giddy thrill of watching Terrell Owens score a long TD, but my attention is primarily in the trenches. Wins generally also equate to more runs, which take longer to analyze than pass plays. Given that I'm home sick today, I had plenty of time to wade through the 34 run plays (and 35 pass plays) between all too frequent trips to the bathroom. [Ed. Note: ... ew.]
Enough whining! Onto the Bucs game, and how Buffalo was able to put up 200+ yards rushing playing half of the game without their most seasoned offensive lineman, right tackle Brad Butler.
Speaking of Butler, when I saw that Kirk Chambers was inactive, I wondered to myself if this was the Fourth Annual Brad Butler Injury Day. It turned out it was. While I like Butler and have been one of his biggest cheerleaders (even at a mere 140 pounds, I doubt any of the Jills outweigh me... though it's a good bet quite a few are taller than my meager 5'6"), it looks like it is time for the Bills to move on and find a permanent starting right tackle - perhaps a stopgap guy now (more on that later) and a new guy in the early rounds of the 2010 NFL Draft. As much as I like the guy, Butler has proven too fragile to be counted on week after week.
Run 1: Owens reverse for 13 yards through the left C gap
- Demetrius Bell went to the second level and kept 54 busy enough to let Owens by. Andy Levitre pushed 95 inside and rode him in a circle away from and behind the play. Geoff Hangartner went to the second level and blocked downfield. Eric Wood turned 98 away from the play. Butler pulled to the right and stuck his hand in 26's chest. With Fred Jackson coming around the right side it, looked like a run to the right. Derek Schouman cut 57 and Shawn Nelson ran with a DB at the second level.
Run 2: Jackson 5 yards through the A gap
- Bell kept 90 (Gaines Adams, a former Top 5 pick) on the end of the line. Levitre and Hangartner doubled 95. Levitre tried to peel and hit 54 but was too late to reach him. Wood and Butler doubled 98 and blew him 5 yards off the line. Wood put 98 down and Butler peeled off and locked up 51. Nelson was left alone with 97 and drove him back four yards. Schouman locked up 57 at the second level and put him down.
Run 3: Jackson 4 yards through the right B gap
- Bell went to the second level while Levitre missed a cut on 95. Hangartner went to the second level as well and tapped 51 at the end of the play. Wood stood up 91 and turned him away from the run lane. Butler pulled wide and blew 21 back 10 yards. Nelson drove 58 and spun him down. Schouman held his own against 97 and turned him away from the run lane.
Pass 1: Evans 32 yard TD against a 6 man blitz
- Bell blocked inside on 95 while Levitre split his effort between helping with 95 and 98. Hangartner gave up 4 yards to 98. Wood stuffed 97 when he tried to spin and Butler stopped a LB at the corner. Schouman blocked 90 and kept him on the edge of the line. Jackson picked up a blitzing 58. The play was a terrific audible; Trent Edwards saw he had Lee Evans one on one and took the shot.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: no one
Run 4: Jackson 6 yards through the left C gap
- Bell sealed 95 inside (and fell on him at the end of the play) after Levitre had driven him 2 yards. Hangartner chipped 98 then peeled and locked onto 51. Wood got a little push on 98 but 98 slipped his block and got in on the tackle. Butler kept 97 on the edge of the line of scrimmage (LOS). Schouman got a five yard drive on 90 but 90 got off the block and in on the tackle. Nelson had a half assed block on 58, who almost made a tackle for loss (TFL).
Pass 2: Nelson for 14 yards against a 5 man blitz
- Bell stuffed 90. Levitre and Hangartner doubled 95 until Levitre disengaged to pick up a blitzing 54 with an assist from Jackson. Wood and Butler doubled 98. Schouman blocked 97 like it was a run play. The pretty play action by Edwards sucked up all three LBs and opened the field for Nelson.
Run 5: Jackson -2 yards through the A gap
- Bell sealed 95 inside and inadvertently pushed him toward the RB. Levitre had initial block on 95 but lost his footing and fell. Hangartner and Wood doubled 95 with Wood throwing him down at the end of the play. Butler kept 97 on the edge on the right side while Schouman did the same to 90 on the other side. Nelson tried to pick up the filling 58 but just bounced off of him (shades of Darian Barnes... no wait, Nelson made contact so that isn't fair) which allowed 58 to make the TFL.
Run 6: Jackson 2 yards through the left C gap
- Bell pulled and got a piece of 21 but he was still on the tackle. You'd figure Bell would dwarf toss pretty much any DB... Levite failed to cut 95 and Wood failed to cut 98. Hangartner went to the second level and hit a LB. Butler went to the second level but had no one to block. Nelson attempted to redeem himself by cutting 58 and failed. Schouman blocked 91 down the LOS.
Pass 3: Incomplete to Owens
- Bell was beaten badly by 91's speed rush and flagrantly held, killing the play and the drive. Levitre and Hangartner initially doubled 95, who went around Levitre and then Hangartner and almost got the sack. 97 spun away from Wood and right into Edwards' path as he moved in the pocket. Butler pushed 90 well upfield. Owens had a shot at the reception for a first down but, because of Bell, it wouldn't have mattered even if he'd caught it.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Bell (Bills got a field goal out of the drive)
Run 7: Jackson 8 yards through the right C gap
- Bell let 90 run upfield and out of the play. Levitre got some push on 95 alone. Hangartner hit a LB at the second level. Wood did just enough to 98 to keep him out of the play. (98 eventually fell over Schouman.) Butler doubled 97 with Schouman and kept him out of the play.
Run 8: Jackson no gain through the left C gap
- 90 got inside of Bell and almost had a TFL. Levitre was tossed aside by 95, who made the tackle. Hangartner went to the second level and fell down without hitting anyone. Wood turned 93 and kept him on the line. Butler chipped 97 for Schouman and then went to the second level too late to catch 54.
Pass 4: Jackson 2 yards
- 90 buckled Bell so it was a good thing Edwards had a quick pass called. Levitre gave 2 yards to 95. Hangartner and Wood doubled 93 and Butler stopped 97 at the corner.
Run 9: QB sneak 1 yard through the A gap against a stacked box
- The entire line surged forward a full yard. Derek Fine did a good job of getting under 58. Give Jauron credit for going for it on fourth and inches in Buffalo's end of the field. Also, there's no way the Bills would have ever run a sneak through the A gap with Melduke Prestfowsuck at center so give Hangartner his due, too. Oh, and give the defense credit for ripping Edwards helmet off as he laid on the top of the pile in full view of at least four officials who littered the field with yellow hankies.
Pass 5: Owens 5 yards plus a second facemask penalty
- 91 beat Bell to the corner but was too late to stop the quick pass. Levitre was destroyed by 95. Hangartner and Wood doubled 98 and Butler stuffed 96.
Run 10: Jackson 2 yards through the A gap
- Bell blew 91 4 yards off the LOS with help from Schouman, who put 91 down. Levitre got a 2 yard push on 95 but 95 pushed him aside and was in on the tackle. Hangartner and Wood doubled 98 and drove him 4 yards off the LOS. Butler chucked 96, who still got in on the tackle, and went to the second level.
Pass 6: INC to Evans in end zone against 6 man blitz
- Bell sent 91 around the corner. Levitre turned the DT out and rode in a circle following Bell and 91. Hangartner and Wood doubled 96 who came in on a stunt. Butler gave up a little ground to 98. Jackson picked up a blitzing DB. A LB got a free shot on Edwards, seemingly due to lack of communication between Hangartner and Wood. The ball hit Evans in the hands. True, the defender was right there and got his hand up near Evans but Evans has to make that catch - particularly since Edwards went to him in the face of the blitz knowing Evans would have one on one coverage.
Pass 7: INC hurried
- Bell did an okay job on the DE but when Edwards dropped farther back the DE was able to get around Bell and chase the QB. 95 (Hovan) blew right past Levitre to force Edwards back and abandon the pocket. Hangartner and Wood doubled 97 after Hang looked around for a blitzer. Butler stuffed 90.
Stacked box: 1
Drive killed by: Evans' drop
Run 11: Jackson for 11 yards through the left B gap
- Bell pulled wide and crushed 20 at the point of attack (POA). Levitre tried to cut 95 and got enough of him to slow him down and keep him out of the play. Hangartner went to the second level and hit 51, moving him across the formation and eventually putting him down. Wood rode 98 part of the way across the formation until they tripped over Levitre. Butler went to the second level and had no one to block. Fine did a great job on 90 at the POA and Schouman missed a cut.
Run 12: Jackson 2 yards through the A gap
- Bell tossed 54 to the ground when he tried to circle behind the play. Levitre got a 2 yard drive on a DT. Hangartner went to the second level and missed a block on a LB. Wood blocked 98 alone and kep him out of the run lane. Butler went to the second level and had no one to block again. He looked a bit lost. Fine did a good job on 97 but Schouman had an outstanding cut on 90. Gaines Adams looked like the arrestor wire on an aircraft carrier had whipped his legs out from under him.
Pass 8: Owens drop against a 6 man blitz
- Bell picked up a delayed blitzer. Levitre chucked a LB who broke off to chase the TE. 95 almost got around Hangartner. Wood and Butler doubled 98. Butler peeled off to pick up 97 when he rushed as well. Owens had a TD in his hands and just dropped it. It was the perfect play call (audible) against the blitz.
Pass 9: INC to Evans against a 6 man blitz
- Bell pushed 95 to Levitre and waited for any other threats to emerge. Levitre took on 95 and between them made too much of a roadblock for a twisting 91 to get around. Hangartner and Wood doubled 97. Butler pushed 90 around the corner. Schouman pinned a blitzing DB when he slipped and Jackson helped in the middle of the line. The bad pass is on Edwards.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Owens
Run 13: Jackson 24 yards through the left C gap
- Bell and Levitre blew 93 4 yards off the LOS and then sealed him inside to open the run lane. Hangartner got under 98's shoulder and kept him off balance. Wood chipped 98 and then popped 54 and kept him turned. Butler locked up 96 on the edge of the play. Nelson and Schouman doubled 97 and caught 58 up in the wash, taking both of them out of the play. A filling DB whiffed on Jackson, which would have limited it to a short gain.
Run 14: Jackson 8 yards through the A gap
- Bell cut 54, who got up and in on the tackle. Levitre missed a cut on 93. Hangartner pulled wider than nay lineman but had no one to block. Wood gave a little ground to 98 and then cut him. Butler pulled and popped 51, sending him back 3 yards. 80 hand fought with 58. Nelson battled with 96 who eventually got off the block and in on the tackle.
Pass 10: INC to Evans
- Everyone blocked left like it was a run but careful not to go downfield. Schouman would have blocked the DE if he didn't fall for the bootleg and instead was an outlet receiver. Since Schouman was well covered Edwards threw it towards Evans, who had come back towards the LOS to give Edwards a target.
Run 15: Jackson 13 yards through the A gap
- Bell let 90 take himself out of the play by going upfield. Levitre pulled and pancaked 93 in the hole. 93 was certain he was going to get a TFL. Hangartner wrestled a DT down. Wood went to the second level and did enough to keep a LB out of the play. Butler abused 51 at the second level. Schouman got in 90's way but it wasn't a really good block.
Run 16: Jackson 12 yards through the right C gap
- Bell hand fought with a De and Levite did the same with 95. Hangartner went to the second level and took 51 on a circle away from the run. 98 tried to jump inside Wood but was stopped and dropped. Butler again didn't really have anyone to block. Schouman got under 97's left shoulder to seal the edge. Everyone but Hangartner blocked like it was a pass play.
Run 17: Jackson 1 yard through the left C gap
- Bell pulled wide and had no one to block. Levitre missed cut on 95. Hangartner tried to cut off 51 at the second level but couldn't reach him and he made the tackle. Wood blocked 98 all over the formation, peeled off and popped a LB when 98 finally got past him. Butler went to the second level and had no one to block. Schouman and Fine blocked 90 and sealed him inside.
Pass 11: Scramble for 20 yards
- 91 beat Bell with pure speed never mind that it looked like Bell was holding, too. Bell caused the scramble. Levitre blocked 93 with initial help from Hangartner, who then helped Wood with 97. Butler waited patiently for 90 to get around Schouman's block but it never happened. Meanwhile, Bell and 91 rolled up on the back of Butler's legs ending his season.
Pass 12: INC to Schouman - bad pass
- Bell and Levitre doubled the DE and then also picked up a twisting DT. Hangartner gave Wood a little help with 93. Scott had a decent initial play against 96.
Run 18: Jackson -2 yards through the right B gap-fumble returned 70+ yards
- Bell popped 91 then hit him again at the second level. Levitre got inside of the DT and kept him shielded from the play. Hangartner went to the second level and went after a LB. Wood blocked 97 down the LOS. Scott let 96 circle past the run lane and kept him from chasing the play. Parrish missed the block on 20 who made the tackle.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Jackson's fumble; Parrish missed a block but Jackson didn't secure the ball
Run 19: Jackson 9 yards through the left B gap
- Bell locked dup 54 at the second level. Levitre moved the DT out of the run lane. Hangartner went to the second level and fell on a DB. Wood got on 97 and pushed him 12 yards downfield. Scott went to the second level and bulldogged 51, pushing him 5 yards. Fine kept 90 out of the play. Schouman pulled across the formation and popped a DE who was trying to close down the run lane-great block.
Pass 13: Josh Reed 7 yards
- A DE pushed into Bell and after popping him used the space he created to get inside and get after Edwards. Levitre was marched backwards by the DT. Hangartner and Wood doubled 97. Scott stuffed 90.
Pass 14: Schouman 27 yards
- Bell pushed the DE past Edwards, causing the DE to slip. Levitre, Hangartner and Wood tripled 97. Wood left to pop 90 for Scott, who didn't seem to need the help.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: halftime
Pass 15: Schouman 1 yard
- The entire line blocked like it was a run. They easily handled the 3 defenders who were playing the run. The left DE realized a hair too late it was a pass play.
Run 20: Jackson 5 yards through what appeared to be the A gap
- The network was too busy showing TO near tears to bother to broadcast anything other than the tail end of this play. Jerks.
Pass 16: Reed 13 yards
- Bell was almost toppled by the DE but regained his balance. Levitre almost had his DT slide between himself and Hangartner. Wood blocked his DE alone and kept him near the LOS. Scott was helped (only time in the game) when 90 started to gain the corner. Jackson chipped 90 and Scott recovered.
Run 21: Jackson 1 yard through the A gap
- Bell helped Levitre with 93 then locked up 54. Levitre got 93 turned around and then moved him 5 yards downfield. Hangartner went to the second level and missed 51. Wood was shoved back by 98, who made the tackle. Scott doubled 97 with Schouman and they turned 97 in a circle.
Pass 17: Sack -2 yards (right after Reed had an offsides penalty)
- Bell had no one to block since Jackson and Schouman took care of his DE. Levitre and Hangartner doubled the DT. Wood kept 93 3 yards from Edwards but 93 got the sack when Edwards tried to scramble. Scott caused the scramble by letting 97 get around him which forced Edwards to run forward and into 93.
Run 22: Jackson 7 yards through the A gap
- Bell kept 91 on the edge of the LOS until Jackson was past. Levitre hit a LB at the second level. Hangartner turned a DT in a circle away from the run lane. Wood and Scott doubled 97 and drove him 5 yards, accidentally towards Jackson as it turned out. Schouman missed a cut on 90.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Scott (allowed a sack) and Reed (stupid penalty)
Pass 18: Schouman 6 yards
- The DE feinted inside and then went right around Bell. Levitre and Hangartner doubled 96. 98 pushed Wood back almost to Edwards. Scott waited for 97 to engage but he never did.
Run 23: Jackson -2 yard through the left C gap (another facemask penalty on defense)
- Bell pulled wide and missed a block on 58. Levitre pushed 95 down the LOS, slowing him down (but not stopping him) before falling himself. Hangartner went to the second level and locked up 51. Wood blocked 98 into Levitre's prone body, tripping 98. Scott went to the second level but had no one to block. Schouman missed a block at the second level and Fine fell down trying to make a block. It wasn't a pretty play.
Pass 19: Schouman 11 yards
- The DE jumped inside of Bell, making it a good thing that it was a quick pass. Levitre gave quite a bit of ground to a bull rush. Hangartner helped Wood and then pushed a DT past Edwards. Wood was pushed back to near Edwards with a bull rush. Scott did a nice job on 97 on the edge.
Run 24: Jackson 2 yards through the right C gap
- Bell drove 91 3 yards. The DT jumped to Levitre's outside shoulder who then rode him in a circle away from the play. Hangartner crunched 54 as he tried to fill. Wood took 98 back 4 yards like he was on greased roller skate standing on ice. (It kind of reminded me of a reverse Preston-Wilfork situation.) Wood almost took out 51 in the bargin as well. Scott pulled to the inside and got tangled up. Schouman tried to turn 97's shoulder but couldn't so 97 was in on the tackle. Fine wiped out a LB at the second level.
Pass 20: Jackson -4 yard screen
- Bell blocked the DE on the edge. Levitre let 93 move upfield and pushed him past anything useful. Hangartner missed 54 while he got out to block for the screen, which killed the play since 54 made the TFL. Wood got the initial block on 98 and then tried to get out to lead the screen. Scott locked up 96 and moved him inside.
Pass 21: Sack -8 yards
- The DE beat Bell with a spin but Schouman was waiting for him. (It was the only time Bell was helped.) Levitre stuffed 95. Hangartner helped with 90 and then 95. Wood stopped 90 cold when he twisted inside. 97 started inside and Scott got under his shoulder pads. 97 spun away and got to Edwards. However, by that point Edwards had had 5 seconds so the sack really can't be hung on Scott. Instead the blame falls to Edwards for not finding someone.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Edwards
Pass 22: Owens 4 yards
- Bell stoned a spin move by the DE. (Way to learn from your mistakes, Bell!) Levitre waited for a blitzer and eventually helped Bell. Hangartner took a DT past the QB. Wood wouldn't let 98 elevate and Scott stopped 97.
Pass 23: Schouman 10 yards
- Bell pushed the DE well past Edwards. Levitre and Hangartner tag teamed 95. Wood stopped 98 and Scott stuffed a bull rush by 97.
Pass 24: Jackson 10 yards
- Bell stopped a DE. Levitre, Hangartner and Wood easily handled a twist by 95 and 98. Scott pushed 97 upfield.
Pass 25: INT intended for Evans
- Bell pushed the DE past Edwards. Levitre had no one to block when 95 dropped into coverage. Hangartner and Wood doubled 98. Scott circled 97 past the QB.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Edwards' terrible INT
Run 25: Roscoe Parrish reverse for 9 yards through the right C gap
- Bell let 90 go upfield and take himself out of the play. Levitre pushed 95 back a yard, turned him to the left and then pushed him another yard. Hangartner went to the second level and drove a LB 5 yards downfield. Scott unintentionally got in 96's way while he helped Wood with 93. Wood then peeled to pick up a blitzing LB, who he pushed on an arc past the play. Schouman danced with a CB on the edge of the play. 96 was left alone for Parrish to fake out, and he did.
Pass 26: Schouman 7 yards - Schouman injured
- Bell stuffed 90 and knocked him off balance when he tried to elevate. Levitre and Hangartner doubled 95 and kept him from elevating. Wood and Scott doubled 93. Wood should have peeled off to pick up a twisting 96, who got a shot on Edwards.
Pass 27: Jackson 6 yards
- Bell and Levitre easily managed a twist by 95 and 91. Hangartner waited for a blitzer and picked up 97 when he spun away from Wood. Scott blocked 90 but 90 didn't really rush so much as wait to chase the inevitable short pass down from behind.
Run 26: Jackson 1 yard through the A gap
- Bell got under 95's shoulder and spun him around, shielding 91 from the play in the process. Levitre chiped 95 and then hit a LB at the second level and drove him downfield. Hangartner and Wood doubled 97. Hang peeled too late to pick up a filling 54, who was in on the tackle. Scott hand fought with 90 on the periphery of the play.
Pass 28: Reed 14 yards
- Bell barely contained a bull rush by 91 after 91 got under his pads. 95 got some drive on Levitre and Hangartner just waited for someone to break through. Wood chipped 97 and then popped 90 hard enough as he tried to stunt that he lost his balance. Scott blocked 97.
Pass 29: Scramble 2 yards
- Bell put 91 down when he tried to turn the corner. Levitre locked up 97. Hangartner and wood doubled 98. Wood shoved 98 rather dismissively to the ground and then looked for someone else to hit. Hangartner dropped on 98 and laid on him. Scott beat 90 to the corner and kept him in front of him when 90 tried to move back inside.
Pass 30: Jackson 9 yards against a 6 man blitz
- Bell picked up a blitzing 51 but was never seriously engaged as 51 waited to chase down the dump off pass. Levitre was driven back by 97 and Wood by 98. Hangartner got just enough of a stunting 91 to keep him off of Edwards. Scott picked up 96 and had to let 54 (the outside most rusher) get a free shot on Edwards.
Run 27: 3 yards through the right B gap
- Bell and Levitre doubled 97 and drove him 3 yards. Hangartner went to the second level and missed 51, mainly because 97 was driven into Hangartner from behind. Wood drove 98 3 yards off the line and Scott kept 96 on the edge of the line. Fine locked up 91 on the edge of the line.
Pass 31: Reed for 11 yards
- Bell stoned 91 when he tried a speed rush and then stuffed him when he tried a bull rush. 95 blew past Levitre but lost his balance and fell down. Hangartner and Wood doubled 98. Scott stuffed 90.
Pass 32: INC to Omon - bad pass
- 91 blew right around Bell and got around the corner but not to Edwards. Levitre and Hangartner doubled 95. 93 got inside of wood but Wood then recovered and pushed him past Edwards. Scott kept 90 on the edge of the line.
Pass 33: Jackson drop
- Bell and Levitre doubled 90 while Hangartner and Wood doubled 93. Scott stopped 97.
Pass 34: Jackson 3 yard screen
- Bell set up like he was going to pass block and was never engaged by 91. Levitre went downfield and blocked 58 but he shed and got in on the tackle. Hangartner missed a block on a LB in the second level. Wood slowed 97 down and then went downfield but had no one to block. 90 tried a spin move on Scott but was put down and kept down.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: Jackson (drop) and Edwards (bad pass to Omon and not checking out of a screen call against a man line). Buffalo did get a FG.
Run 28: Jackson 6 yards through the left C gap
- After chucking 93 Bell didn't get much push on 91 but still managed to get him down. Levitre got under the DT's left shoulder, pushed him 2 yards and wouldn't let him disengage. Hangartner and Wood doubled 98 initially. Hangartner peeled off to get a piece of 54 at the second level. Wood got a 4 yard push on 98 by staying under his left shoulder. Scott got under 96's left shoulder and drove him 3 yards off the line. I kind of doubt it's a coincidence that 3 guys did the same thing to defensive linemen on the same play. Fine chipped 91 and then went to the second level to get a piece of 51.
Run 29: Jackson 4 yards through the A gap (defense offside)
- Bell let 90 go upfield and pushed him past the play. Levitre drove 93 3 yards and opened the run lane. Hangartner had an initial chuck on 93 but picked up a filling 51 and wouldn't let 51 chase the play. Wood and Hangartner doubled 98 until Wood peeled and missed 51 at the second level. Fine blocked 96 unintentionally back towards Jackson.
Pass 35: Owens 43 yard TD against a 6 man blitz
- Bell pushed 90 inside then pushed a blitzing 54 upfield. Levitre picked up 90 from Bell. 93 got past Hangartner and almost had a sack - Hangartner got just enough push to move him past Edwards. Wood gave ground to 98 and Scott stuffed 96. Fine stayed in to protect and stopped a blitzing 20.
Stacked box: 0
Drive killed by: no one
Run 30: Jackson 3 yards through the left B gap
- Bell gave 93 a mild shove for Levitre then missed 51 at the second level. Levitre pushed 93 off the line and then well downfield when he tried to spin. Hangartner gave 98 a chuck and then went to the second level and hit 54. Wood dogged 98 until he got him down. 96 tried to get upfield on Scott and then spin back but was stopped cold. Fine danced with 20.
Run 31: Jackson 43 yards through the left B gap
- Bell let 90 go upfield and kept him there. Levitre drove 93 3 yards and turned him to open the run lane. Levitre made this play. Hangartner chucked 98 then went to the second level and sealed 51 off from the run lane. Wood didn't get much push on 98 but wouldn't let him extend his arms to try to grab Jackson. Scott rode 96 in a circle away from the play. Fine got an initial pop on 96 and then locked onto 54. Reed got away with a mild hold on 20 as he walled off the outside of the run lane.
Run 32: Omon 4 yards through the A gap against an 8 man front
- Bell ignored 90 and went to chuck 95 but couldn't reach him so he blocked 23 instead. Bell couldn't reach 95 because Levitre blew him 3 yards off the line. Hangartner went to the second level and locked up 51. Wood got a 2 yard drive on 98 while Scott went to the second level and hit 54. Fine had 96 alone and didn't get much of a block.
Run 33: Omon 5 yards through the right C gap against an 8 man front
- Bell doubled 90 with Fine and they pushed him away from the play along the LOS. Levitre got a 2 yard drive on 95. Hangartner went to the second and hit 51, who still got in on the tackle. Wood blew 93 4 yards off the line. Scott couldn't catch up to 93 to help Wood. He should have blocked 96, who slowed Omon down.
Run 34: Jackson -1 yard through the A gap against an 8 man front
- Bell let 90 get inside of him for a TFL. Levitre turned 95 and slowed him down but both clogged up a possible run lane. Hangartner helped with 95 and got a piece of 51. Wood turned 93 away from the run lane but got no drive. He and 93 clogged another possible run lane. Scott drove 91 into the end zone by getting under his shoulder pads. Fine circled 96 away from the play.
Stacked box: 1
Drive killed by: Bell
|RUN PLAYS||PASS PLAYS|
|Run plays by gap|
|6.3 ypa||16.5 ypa||3.5 ypa||1.7 ypa||7.2 ypa|
Legend, chart one: H=Help; G=Good; D=Decent; B=Bad; K=Killed; S=Sack
Legend, chart two: LC=Left C; LB=Left B; A=A gap; RB=Right B; RC=Right C; ypa=yards per attempt
A few things stood out as I watched the game, most of which related to the offensive line but a few did not.
The gaudy 16.5-yard average through the left B gap was helped out tremendously by the 43 yard run. Also, the 6.25 average through the left C gap would have been a good deal more pedestrian without the 24 yard run included. The offensive line as a whole continues to need to eliminate mistakes in pass protection. It was good to see that Levitre wasn't a one game wonder and also terrific to see Wood improving as well. The TE situation may be dicey for a while, which could be a real problem for Buffalo. Fine has never demonstrated the ability to be a receiving threat. If Nelson can't go I can see Stupar being activated to be that underneath outlet that is giving defenses so much trouble.
First, the Bucs were all over the bootleg pass to Schouman. Pretty much every time the Bills ran the play Schouman had someone on him from the moment he released from the line. Perhaps the Bills have gone to that well a bit too often. It doesn't matter if it's a play that the offense runs well if the defense consistently diagnoses it.
After the game the Bucs coach called out Gaines Adams. It's easy to see why. They moved Adams (90) from left to right defensive end all game long. He just wasn't a factor until the last run play. It's kind of amazing to me that a Top 5 draft choice can be stymied by a pair of tackles with one game of starting experience between them. Further, the Bills continued to rely on the tackles to win their matchups without assistance so Adams can't even gripe about being constantly chipped. Gaines Adams appears to be an outright bust.
Scott and Butler split the number of runs evenly. The Bills ran right only 5 times with Scott in the game for 21 (4.2 ypa) total yards. You can try to read into it but the Bills only ran left 5 times after Butler was out. Take out the 43 yard play and you're left with 4 runs to the left for 16 yards or 4.0 ypa. I don't think the Bills will be shy about running right in the coming week.
While some point out the number of blitzes that the Bucs unleashed (8 out of 35) the Bills haven't seen a pressure defense. The Bucs stacked box only 4 times, 3 of which were near the goal line at the end of the game and the other was a QB sneak. So far neither the Pats or the Bucs chose to shut down the run and short pass and make Edwards beat them with long passes to Evans and Owens. Someone will give it a try. The Saints have an awesome offense that can score with anyone and a so-so defense. They seem like the perfect team to load the box against the Bills, blitzing and run blitzing with an abandon. Why wouldn't they try it?
Trent Edwards against the blitz should give most teams (as in teams other than the Saints who can score whenever they want) pause when it comes to blitzing heavily. Of the 8 blitzes, Edwards threw TDs of 32 and 43 yards, had a 13 yard first down and a 9 yard pick up. Evans couldn't come up with a TD catch (yes, there was good coverage) and Owens dropped a certain long gainer/possible TD. Edwards really had only one bad pass against the blitz (pass 9) as his only other pass against the blitz (3) got to the receivers hands. Edwards is deadly against the blitz and can burn teams that pressure him.