A lot has changed for the Buffalo Bills since I made my first 53-man roster projection of the season last week. Lee Evans was traded, Aaron Maybin was waived, at least two players (Alex Carrington and Josh Nesbitt) have (sort of) switched positions, and a pre-season game is in the bag.
After the jump, I'll highlight the notable changes (there aren't many) and unveil the second iteration of the projection. You're free to offer your own projections, or merely your objections, in the comments section.
Here's a quick rundown of the notable changes to the team over the past week, and a final note on the toughest players to cut:
- With Evans out of the picture, it's very clear that Donald Jones has become the favorite to take his spot in the starting lineup. That's reflected here accordingly. Also, with Evans gone, Marcus Easley sneaks onto the final roster as a sixth receiver.
- I've axed a third tight end, for two reasons: they don't currently have a third that's proven himself worthy of a roster spot, and I needed the extra roster spot for a defensive lineman...
- ... that lineman being Lionel Dotson. With the team giving Alex Carrington most of his reps at outside linebacker (for whatever reason), it now seems likely that they'll open the season with seven defensive linemen. Dotson easily beats out Michael Jasper for that honor.
- Once again, Chad Rinehart was one of the final cuts, and a player I tried to find a place for. I just don't think he's versatile enough to keep, particularly since they'll keep Chris Hairston on the roster as a developmental prospect. If Rinehart's going to stick, he'll need to beat out Kraig Urbik.
- The other final cut was Buster Davis, who I still consider the seventh receiver thanks to the level of investment made in Easley and the very strong pre-season being put together by Naaman Roosevelt. Now Davis is hurt, too, which won't help his cause.
|WR||19||Donald Jones||11||Roscoe Parrish||81||Marcus Easley|
|LT||77||Demetrius Bell||71||Ed Wang|
|C||70||Eric Wood||63||Geoff Hangartner|
|RG||60||Kraig Urbik||61||Mansfield Wrotto|
|RT||79||Erik Pears||75||Chris Hairston*|
|TE||84||Scott Chandler||80||David Martin|
|WR||13||Stevie Johnson||86||David Nelson||18||Naaman Roosevelt|
|QB||14||Ryan Fitzpatrick||4||Tyler Thigpen||16||Brad Smith|
|RB||22||Fred Jackson||28||C.J. Spiller||35||Johnny White*|
|LE||99||Marcell Dareus*||92||Alex Carrington||97||Lionel Dotson|
|NT||95||Kyle Williams||96||Torell Troup|
|RE||98||Dwan Edwards||91||Spencer Johnson|
|SLB||90||Chris Kelsay||57||Danny Batten|
|MLB||54||Andra Davis||55||Kelvin Sheppard*||94||Chris White*|
|WLB||50||Nick Barnett||53||Reggie Torbor||52||Arthur Moats|
|JLB||56||Shawne Merriman||59||Antonio Coleman|
|LCB||24||Terrence McGee||21||Leodis McKelvin|
|SS||37||George Wilson||43||Bryan Scott||25||Da'Norris Searcy*|
|RCB||29||Drayton Florence||23||Aaron Williams*||27||Reggie Corner|
Players cut (34): QB Levi Brown, RB Bruce Hall, RB Anthony Elzy, FB Jehuu Caulcrick, WR Buster Davis, WR Felton Huggins, WR Paul Hubbard, WR Kamar Aiken, TE Shawn Nelson, TE Mike Caussin, TE Zach Pianalto, OT Cordaro Howard, OT Jason Watkins, OG Chad Rinehart, OG Colin Brown, OG Isaiah Thompson, C Michael Switzer, DE T.J. Langley, NT Michael Jasper, NT Kellen Heard, OLB Jammie Kirlew, OLB Robert Eddins, ILB Brad Jefferson, ILB Brandon Hicks, CB Justin Rogers, CB Loyce Means, CB Doyle Miller, S Jon Corto, S Rajric Coleman, S Sidney Glover, S Josh Nesbitt, K Chris Hazley, P Reid Forrest, LS Danny Aiken.
QB (3): Fitzpatrick, Thigpen, Smith
RB (3): Jackson, Spiller, White
FB (1): McIntyre
WR (6): Johnson, Jones, Parrish, Nelson, Roosevelt, Easley
TE (2): Chandler, Martin
OT (4): Bell, Pears, Wang, Hairston
OG (3): Levitre, Urbik, Wrotto
C (2): Wood, Hangartner
DE (5): Dareus, Edwards, Johnson, Carrington, Dotson
NT (2): Williams, Troup
OLB (4): Merriman, Kelsay, Coleman, Batten
ILB (6): Barnett, Davis, Torbor, Sheppard, Moats, White
CB (5): Florence, McGee, McKelvin, Williams, Corner
S (4): Byrd, Wilson, Scott, Searcy
SP (3): Lindell, Moorman, Sanborn