With the fourteenth pick in the 2016 Buffalo Rumblings Community Mock, the Oakland Raiders, and general manager bossdog123, have selected Vernon Butler, defensive tackle from Louisiana Tech. Here's what he had to say about the pick:
The Raiders are building a monster defensive line and Butler will fit in perfect as they continue to hybrid between and 4-3/3-4 look again this year. Butler moves extremely well for a man carrying 323 pounds on his frame, Louisiana Tech even lined him up from a linebacker position rushing from a two-point stance in the middle at times. When Butler uses his leverage and gets his hands into offensive lineman’s chest off the snap, he can be damn near impossible to stop.
Bruce Irvin coming over from Seattle, Aldon Smith re-signing to add extra depth and lets not forget the Mega Star UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO's own Khalil Mack coming off his 15.5 sack season and the only player in NFL history to be voted to the Pro Bowl at 2 positions. Butler can play the nose in the 3/4 and move to a true DT in a 4-3, that will keep the middle of the defense under control to let Mack and Irving do what they do best (this is the real reason Brock left for Houston).
Unlike most teams picking early the Raiders already have their franchise QB in Derek Carr and he has his favorite weapon in Amari Cooper. I was going to go for Eli Apple here but the depressing memory of the last corner Oakland took in the first round is still fresh in my head. Plus the addition of Sean Smith outside to pair with David Amerson means there is no reason to reach for a CB here. The last thought was to give Carr a new toy to play with in the slot, but once again no one really jumped out at me the way Butler does on tape and at the combine. Defensive Coordinator Ken Norton will love having a new young body to press the middle.
The Los Angeles Rams are now on the clock. Remember, when it's your turn to submit a draft choice, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Titans: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi
- Browns: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
- Chargers: Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
- Cowboys: Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
- Jaguars: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
- Ravens: DeForest Buckner, DL, Oregon
- 49ers: Jared Goff, QB, Cal
- Vikings: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
- Buccaneers: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
- Giants: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
- Bears: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
- Saints: Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
- Dolphins: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
- Raiders: Vernon Butler, DT, LA Tech
Dan's top five remaining
- Jack Conklin
- Josh Doctson
- Noah Spence
- Cody Whitehair
- Reggie Ragland
What do you think of this pick? Cast your vote in the poll below!