With pick No. 29 in the 2016 Buffalo Rumblings Community Mock Draft, the Arizona Cardinals, and general manager Jeff Hunter, have selected Paxton Lynch, quarterback from Memphis. Here's what he had to say about the pick:
A cursory search of mock drafts this offseason has the Cardinals selecting Alabama C Ryan Kelly or from one of the many talented defensive linemen that should be around at the 29th pick. I think that's the way they'll end up going, given the Rams' trade to first overall leaving my pick all but sure to be gone by the time 29 rolls around.
Humor me for a second, however.
With the signings of Mike Iupati and Evan Mathis, they've addressed the interior line to a decent extent. The trade that sent away Jonathan Cooper netted them Chandler Jones, a good defensive end that the Bills won't miss seeing twice a season, so I'd consider that position close enough to settled.
On the other hand, Carson Palmer will be 37 by the time next season finishes, and there's a chance he won't even make it that far. The drop-off to Drew Stanton and Matt Barkley is almost crippling to a team that made the NFC Championship last season and has no major holes in the starting lineup.
They really need to start thinking about the future, and the future is Paxton Lynch.
If you want to read about Lynch's abilities, Dan Lavoie has an excellent take on him here. While you're watching those clips, you might notice his resemblance to another big quarterback, one that Bruce Arians had a great deal of success with: Ben Roethlisberger.
Could Lynch come in and start for the Cardinals from day one? Possibly. They don't need him to, though. With a year of seasoning in Arians' offense, and the continued emergence of Michael Floyd and John Brown as heirs to Larry Fitzgerald's throne, they could make a seamless transition from Palmer to Lynch and stay near the cream of the crop among Super Bowl contenders.
The Carolina Panthers are now on the clock. Remember, when it's your turn to submit a draft choice, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Titans: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi
- Browns: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
- Chargers: Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
- Cowboys: Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
- Jaguars: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
- Ravens: DeForest Buckner, DL, Oregon
- 49ers: Jared Goff, QB, Cal
- Vikings: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
- Buccaneers: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
- Giants: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
- Bears: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
- Saints: Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
- Dolphins: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
- Raiders: Vernon Butler, DT, LA Tech
- Rams: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
- Lions: Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
- Falcons: Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
- Colts: Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas State
- Bills: Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
- Bengals: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
- Eagles: Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky
- Texans: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
- Redskins: Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
- Jets: Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
- Steelers: A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
- Seahawks: Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
- Packers: Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State
- Chiefs: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
- Cardinals: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
Dan's top five remaining
- Kenny Clark
- Jaylon Smith
- Robert Nkemdiche
- Laquon Treadwell
- Jonathan Bullard
What do you think of this pick? Cast your vote in the poll below!