Reggie Bush is traveling to sign with the Buffalo Bills today, per a report. The 31-year-old former Heisman Trophy winner is coming off knee surgery in November and is insurance for Buffalo. The news came first from Jason La Canfora.
Reeggie Bush expected to arrive in Buffalo this morning and sign with Bills pending results of a physical— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) August 1, 2016
According to Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News, if Bush passes his physical, he’ll sign a one-year deal worth up to $3M with “incentives mainly tied to special teams.”
Bush spent one season with the San Francisco 49ers after two with the Detroit Lions. His last 1000-yard season was in 2013 with Detroit. He had more successful stints with the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins before age and injuries caught up to the speedster.
Sal Capaccio from WGR 550 in Buffalo says Bush will be the punt returner and compete for the backup running back job. He also added this nugget from inside the Bills organization:
Team source told me last week regarding Reggie Bush: "he fits everything we do." #Bills— Sal Capaccio (@SalSports) August 1, 2016
With the addition of Bush, the Bills have had all three top picks from the hotly debated 2006 draft on their roster at one point; top pick Mario Williams, Bush, and third pick Vince Young. Buffalo picked Donte Whitner eighth overall that year and also had tenth overall pick Matt Leinart on their roster at one point. The 22nd overall pick was current Bills defender Manny Lawson and 26th was John McCargo, who flamed out after the Bills picked him.
Bush is being added to the running back corps in the wake of off-field problems with two of the young guns in the arsenal; second-year RB Karlos Williams was suspended for the first four games of the 2016 season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and rookie RB Jonathan Williams was arrested for DWI. While the latter Williams isn’t expected to miss time in 2017, the Bills are still hedging their bets.