For the third straight week, the Buffalo Bills got blown out. The offense was falling over itself, the defense couldn’t stop anyone, and the Bills have fallen out of playoff position after beginning the year 5-2.
Not helping Buffalo were the Green Bay Packers, who couldn’t score a single point against the Baltimore Ravens. Baltimore now sits at 5-5 and bests the Bills in a tiebreaker to claim the sixth playoff spot.
Making matters worse, a Tennessee Titans loss on Thursday night meant Buffalo could climb into fifth place with a win that sadly they had no business even considering. Now Buffalo will need to steal a win against the Kansas City Chiefs in Arrowhead to right the ship.
Here are the updated playoff standings. Only the tiebreakers that are currently being used are listed.
AFC Playoff Standings
1. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-2, 6-1 AFC)
2. New England Patriots (8-2, 1-1 AFC)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-3)
4. Kansas City Chiefs (6-4)
5. Tennessee Titans (6-4)
6. Baltimore Ravens (5-5, 4-3 AFC)
7. Buffalo Bills (5-5, 3-3 AFC)
8. Miami Dolphins (4-6, 1-1 AFC East, 3-3 AFC)
9. New York Jets (4-6, 2-3 AFC East, 4-4 AFC)
10. Cincinnati Bengals (4-6, 4-5 AFC)
11. Houston Texans (4-6, 3-4 AFC)
12. Los Angeles Chargers (4-6, head-to-head win over OAK, 3-5 AFC)
13. Oakland Raiders (4-6, head-to-head loss to LAC)
14. Indianapolis Colts (3-7, 2-4 AFC)
15. Denver Broncos (3-7, 2-5 AFC)
16. Cleveland Browns (0-10)*
* - the Browns have all but been eliminated from playoff contention, but are not officially eliminated yet because the AFC is a hot mess.