The Buffalo Bills (6-5) have fallen back into seventh place in the AFC after their anxiety-inducing win over the Kansas City Chiefs (6-5), after a Baltimore Ravens (5-5) win on Monday Night Football against the Houston Texans (4-6). The Ravens move back into sixth based on their superior record against the AFC in a tiebreaker scenario.
For a while on Sunday, it was looking good for Buffalo to not need a Ravens loss, as the Tennessee Titans (7-4) were down most of the game but ended up coming from behind to beat the Indianapolis Colts (3-8). Buffalo would have been ahead of Tennessee for a spot.
With the 9-2 New England Patriots coming to town, and a considerably easier schedule for the Titans, Ravens, and Jacksonville Jaguars down the line, Buffalo is going to have to earn their spot in the postseason this year.
AFC Playoff Standings
1. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-2, 6-1 AFC, 46 wins in strength of victory)
2. New England Patriots (9-2, 6-1 AFC, 44 wins in strength of victory)
3. Tennessee Titans (7-4, head-to-head win over JAX)
4. Kansas City Chiefs (6-5)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-4, head-to-head loss to TEN)
6. Baltimore Ravens (6-5, 5-3 AFC record)
7. Buffalo Bills (6-5, 4-3 AFC record)
8. Cincinnati Bengals (5-6, 5-5 AFC)
9. Los Angeles Chargers (5-6, head-to-head win over OAK, 3-5 AFC)
10. Oakland Raiders (5-6, head-to-head loss to LAC, 5-5 AFC)
11. New York Jets (4-7, 2-3 AFC East, 4-4 AFC)
12. Miami Dolphins (4-7, 1-2 AFC East, 3-4 AFC)
13. Houston Texans (4-7, 3-5 AFC)
14. Indianapolis Colts (3-8, 2-5 AFC)
15. Denver Broncos (3-8, 2-6 AFC)
16. Cleveland Browns (0-11)*
* Cleveland has been eliminated from the 2017 postseason race