Week number 13 of the NFL season is over and it was very unlucky for the Buffalo Bills. Not only did they lose, but they received almost no help from around the league and are a game plus a tiebreaker out of playoff position.
The only game that clearly went in Buffalo’s favor was the New York Jets’ win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Kansas City falling into the Wild Card race and the Los Angeles Chargers earning the AFC West crown would be very beneficial to the Bills if they can recover.
Buffalo loses the head-to-head tiebreaker to the Chargers after L.A. beats Oakland in their head-to-head tiebreaker. Then the Bills top the Raiders on their own head-to-head tiebreaker.
Here is the full projected AFC playoff picture:
AFC Playoff Standings
1. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-2, higher strength of victory than NE)
2. New England Patriots (10-2, lower strength of victory than PIT)
3. Tennessee Titans (8-4, head-to-head win over JAX)
4. Kansas City Chiefs (6-6, 2-1 AFC West)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars (8-4, head-to-head loss to TEN)
6. Baltimore Ravens (7-5, 5-3 AFC record)
7. Los Angeles Chargers (6-6, 4-5 AFC, head-to-head win over BUF, 2-2 AFC West)
8. Buffalo Bills (6-6, 4-4 AFC, head-to-head loss to LAC, head to head win over OAK)
9. Oakland Raiders (6-6, head-to-head loss to BUF, 2-2 AFC West)
10. New York Jets (5-7, 2-3 AFC East, 5-4 AFC)
11. Miami Dolphins (5-7, 1-2 AFC East, 4-4 AFC)
12. Cincinnati Bengals (5-7, 5-6 AFC)
13. Houston Texans (4-8, 3-6 AFC)
14. Indianapolis Colts (3-9, 2-6 AFC)
15. Denver Broncos (3-9, 2-7 AFC)
16. Cleveland Browns (0-12)*
* Cleveland has been eliminated from the 2017 postseason race
Buffalo is going to need some help from an AFC South collapse and/or a Baltimore Ravens losing streak to get into the playoff spot. They will probably have to beat the Patriots in New England, too, during their Week 16 tilt.