Well #BillsMafia, it finally happened: the Buffalo Bills (9-7) snapped their 17-year playoff drought and qualified for the postseason for the first time since the 1999 season. Buffalo, the No. 6 seed in the AFC, travels to the Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6), the No. 3 seed and champions of the AFC South, for a Wild Card game at 1:05 p.m. Sunday at EverBank Field.
Sunday’s playoff meeting will be the 16th all-time between the Bills and the Jaguars, with the Bills owning an 8-7 record against Jacksonville.
The two teams have met in the playoffs once previously, in 1996, when the second-year Jaguars traveled to Western New York and defeated the Bills 30-27 in a Wild Card game. Jacksonville, a heavy underdog against Buffalo, knocked Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly out of the game with a concussion in what would be the final game of his Bills career. It’s the only playoff loss the Bills have in New Era Field/Ralph Wilson Stadium/Rich Stadium.
In the last matchup between Buffalo and Jacksonville, the Bills prevailed 28-21 at New Era Field on November 27, 2016. LeSean McCoy ran for 103 yards and a pair of touchdowns, including a 75-yard scamper, and Tyrod Taylor was 12 of 18 for 166 yards and a TD. Trailing 21-20 in the fourth quarter, Taylor capped a game-winning touchdown drive with a 16-yard strike to Justin Hunter, and McCoy ran in the two-point conversion to give the Bills the final margin of victory.
Buffalo is 4-2 all-time playing in Jacksonville, including a 27-20 win on Dec. 15, 2013 at EverBank Field as EJ Manuel tossed a one-yard TD to Frank Summers to snap a 20-all tie and propel the Bills to victory. Manuel was 17 of 24 for 193 yards, two TDs, and one interception. Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller combined for 147 rushing yards, while Buffalo sacked Chad Henne five times on the day.
Sunday will be Buffalo’s 30th all-time playoff game, with the Bills looking to get back to .500 (14-15 record). The Bills are 3-3 in Wild Card games, but have dropped their last three Wild Card games since earning a 37-22 win over the Miami Dolphins on Dec. 30, 1995.
Jacksonville is playing in its 12th playoff game (5-6 record) and is 3-2 all-time in the Wild Card round.
Here’s how to watch Sunday’s playoff game from home:
No. 6 Buffalo Bills (9-7) at No. 3 Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6)
- Game Date/Time: Sunday, January 7, 1:05 p.m. Eastern.
- Location: EverBank Field, Jacksonville, Fla..
- TV: The game is airing on CBS affiliates across the country.
- Announcers: Play-by-play Jim Nantz, color analyst Tony Romo, sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson.
- Radio: Westwood One Sports is broadcasting all of the upcoming NFL playoff games. Click here for a complete listing of Westwood One stations in your area. Ian Eagle, Mike Mayock, and former Buffalo Bill Steve Tasker will be in the booth. For stations in the Buffalo Bills Radio Network, John Murphy and Mark Kelso will be in the booth with sideline reporter Sal Capaccio.
- Online: NFL Game Pass, NFL.com Game Center