As the Buffalo Bills prepare to face a new opponent each week, fans take on the age-old arch-nemesis know as “hunger.” Never fear, Buffalo Rumblings has just the playbook to take down this foe. Each week, we’ll dive into enemy territory to scout their signature moves and put a “Buffalo” spin on it. Translated, each week we’ll share a themed recipe based on who the Bills are playing, including a custom wing sauce to go with each dish. Our opponent this week:
Wings and popcorn: Oh my goodness was it tough to think of a recipe this week. Indianapolis often gets picked on for being boring and...
Well, maybe there’s some merit to that. Tenderloin sandwiches are a thing apparently, but that’s hardly “signature.” So in honor of a seemingly bland city, we’re going back to wings and using a seemingly bland ingredient in its “honor.” A word of caution, wing purists may want to sit down and grab a paper bag as we enter the realm of “Is he really adding THAT to his sauce?”
Also, Indiana is known for popcorn and we put wing sauce on that too.
Wings and popcorn
Active Time: 15 Minutes (excludes wing time)
Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1⁄2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 20-24 wings (already cooked)*
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp popcorn kernels
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Add hot sauce to large pot, simmer on HIGH for 2-3 minutes
- Add butter, reduce heat to MED, stirring constantly
- Add marshmallows, stir until thoroughly mixed, set aside**
- Add olive oil to a large pot and heat on HIGH
- Place two or three kernels in the oil as test popcorn and cover
- When the test kernels pop, add the rest and cover again
- Once corn starts popping gently shake pot to prevent burning
- Pop til they stop (or at least slow down to a couple seconds between pops)
Putting it together
- Place wings in large pot with sauce, turn heat to MED/HIGH
- Toss wings to thoroughly coat
- Remove wings
- Drizzle leftover sauce over popcorn, to taste***
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over popcorn
Wingin’ It Tips:
*To shorten the article this week, here’s the link for week one where we discuss cooking the wings.
**Marshmallows? For real? Yep. We discussed in Week two how a little sugar can help balance acidity and can add flavor. Marshmallows balance everything else, but add little flavor to land with a pretty traditional profile. Most importantly, this settles the age old debate of blue cheese vs. ranch. The correct answer is “more wing sauce.” The marshmallow addition makes the sauce thicker and sticky. The sauce coat on these is incredible.
***There is a risk of creating soggy popcorn. This will still be delicious but might not be for everyone. Drizzle lightly and toss popcorn for a more even coat.
The Beer: While we’re going a little more daring with the sauce, we add a little twist to the beer as well.
Beer products provided by Labatt USA. Please drink responsibly.
The Bills host the New England Patriots for Monday Night Football! What could be argued to be the biggest game for fans in years deserves one of the biggest recipes. The only remaining question if it this custom creation will last long enough to photograph.