In a complete performance, the Buffalo Bills dominated the New York Jets and escaped the basement of the AFC East with a 41-10 victory. LeSean McCoy managed his first 100 yard rushing performance of the year, and scored his first two touchdowns on the season. Undrafted rookie Robert Foster gave the Bills their first 100-yard receiver for the season, catching a pair of 40+ yard passes to spark the team’s offense. Zay Jones had a career day of his own, with 8 catches for 93 yards and a touchdown. And the unlikely hero of the day, Matt Barkley, powered Buffalo’s best offensive performance all season in throwing for 10 yards per attempt.
The Buffalo Bills played loose and aggressively Sunday, catching the Jets on their heels more than once. They converted a fourth down play by snapping the ball to Logan Thomas, who passed to Robert Foster. They threw a trick pass to left tackle Dion Dawkins, who caught the first touchdown of his career. Designed jet sweeps and screen passes for the newly-signed Isaiah McKenzie paid dividends - four touches for 46 yards.
On defense, the Bills swarmed to the ball early and often. The Jets finished the first quarter with more punts (three) than yards (one), and they didn’t convert a third down until the third quarter. Matt Milano and Micah Hyde both intercepted Josh McCown, who played under duress all day. The Bills had three sacks and eight QB hits, and their team defense helped the team stage a 31 point lead before halftime.
Now at 3-7, the Bills are tied in record with the Jets, but own the head-to-head tiebreaker. The Bills finally looked like a good team, after a dark stretch of horrific losses. Will this continue after the bye week? Will Josh Allen return to starting with a little more maturity under center?
- Nickel cornerback Taron Johnson (shoulder) left the game and did not return.
- Linebacker Matt Milano entered the concussion protocol in the second half after a tackle.
- Right guard John Miller limped off the field in the second half. He was replaced by Jordan Mills.
- The ball bounced Buffalo’s way early in this game - Zay Jones fumbled the ball near the end zone, but Jason Croom dove onto it for the score.
- The Bills piled up more than 200 yards rushing on 43 attempts today. McCoy was the star, but Marcus Murphy had a solid day of 14 carries for 69 yards.
- Wyatt Teller started at left guard and acquitted himself well - the announcers commended him a few times for his pancake blocks.
- The Bills used Miller’s injury to continue giving reps at RT to Jeremiah Sirles.
- The Bills piled up 450 total yards of offense. The Jets were held to 199. It was a great day for all facets of this team.