The Buffalo Bills kicked off training camp at St. John Fischer College Thursday and just before the first practice of the 2018-2019 season, general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott took the podium. Beane touched on the situation with LeSean McCoy and the allegations he is facing, saying the team was going to play him until informed otherwise.
“LeSean is here and we’re letting the investigators handle all that,” Beane said. “We've done our due diligence and it’s in their hands and he's ready to roll. We've talked to the NFL and we've done what we can do for our end and it’s in their hands, we’re just focused, LeSean is here and it’s going to be about football.”
On July 10th, McCoy was accused of beating and robbing his ex-girlfriend in a home they shared in suburban Atlanta. While McCoy was known to be in Florida at the time, friends of the victim accused him of orchestrating the attack. The two had been going through an eviction proceeding at the time of the attack and she has since moved out.
With nothing to specifically tie McCoy to the case, it’s reached a public standstill as the legal process rolls on. In the meantime, the Bills plan on playing McCoy until told otherwise.
“It’s a situation that we take very seriously because of the nature of the situation,” McDermott said. “As Brandon mentioned, we've done our part, looked into what we need to look into and as an organization feel that we can move forward at this point in time.”
McDermott later added that owners Terry and Kim Pegula were a part of the decision that allowed McCoy to participate in practice at this time.