The Buffalo Bills returned to the practice field on Thursday for a shortened practice following a hard-hitting Wednesday session and before their Friday night scrimmage. Without pads on, it wasn’t a physical practice but there were noteworthy happenings.
QB competition has frontrunner
AJ McCarron took first-team reps for the second consecutive day, a huge change from the entire offseason where Nathan Peterman alternated with McCarron on the first unit. We have more extensive coverage of this in a separate article.
Starting center also has a leader
Ryan Groy took first-team reps for the second straight day ahead of Russell Bodine. Like the QBs, the centers have been rotating every day.
Injury problems creep in
The Bills haven’t lost many days to injury during camp, but today was the exception. After Wednesday’s grueling practice, Thursday saw many more folks working with the trainers. Quan Bray was out. Andre Holmes left practice early yesterday and was sidelined today along with Trent Murphy, who was limited on Wednesday.
Odds and ends
- Tremaine Edmunds had another pick today. Matt Milano caught a tipped ball for his own pick.
- Josh Allen was okay today, with some good and some bad. He was forcing it today, according to Thad Brown.
- De’Ondre Wesley took first-team reps at right tackle in place of the resting Jordan Mills.
- McCarron looked good in the middle of practice after coming out flat.
- Cam Phillips keeps turning heads as a UDFA and seems to be ahead of Austin Proehl at this point.
- McCarron mimicked a Stone Cold Stunner on Allen before practice.
The Bills return to the practice field Friday night for their annual Red vs. Blue scrimmage from New Era Field at 6:15 p.m. Eastern.