Being a fan can be the kind of hard work that builds an appetite. That’s why Buffalo Rumblings brings you a recipe every week to pair with the Buffalo Bills’ upcoming opponent, featuring a custom wing sauce to make it more “Buffalo.” Our opponent this week: the Miami Dolphins.
This will be the fourth Miami edition of Wingin’ It and the culmination of my fears for the series. Admittedly there’s other “Miami” food I could have chosen. But in the spirit of keeping the recipes accessible and trying to avoid having similar entries, I struggled to find a recipe I liked. And then I ran out of time.
Instead of a Miami dish, we’re taking it down to the ground floor to focus on the sauce. I call this one “Florida punch” wing sauce. Because it’s a sauce-focused week, this recipe is intensely flavored thanks to very high acidity (this also serves as a warning). It goes great on wings and sticks extremely well, but can easily be used for many of your hot-sauce dipping needs.
A special shout out this week to Mrs. Krow for the assist.
Florida Punch Wing Sauce
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Florida punch sauce
1 mango, cut into small cubes*
1⁄2 cup hot sauce
2 Tbsp honey
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 lime, zested (1/2 tsp)
1 lemon, zested (1/2 tsp)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, (half stick)
You’ll need: Blender, zester or cheese grater
- Puree mango in blender; add water a tablespoon at a time if needed.
- Add mango puree, hot sauce, honey, and pineapple juice to medium saucepan on MED; stir.
- Fold lime and lemon zest into mixture.
- Cut the lime and lemon in quarters and squeeze juice from both into the saucepan; stir. Allow sauce to simmer 10-15 min until thickened, stirring occasionally**.
- Remove saucepan from heat; add butter and stir in.
- Use the sauce to toss wings, as a dip, or do shots. (Let it cool first if you do that last one!)
Wingin’ It Tips
*If you can get a fresh mango it’s worth it. You can certainly use frozen if you gotta and aim for half a cup after pureeing.
**Consistency is a matter of preference so feel free to shorten or extend the time to your liking.