Being a fan can be the kind of hard work that builds an appetite. That’s why Buffalo Rumblings brings you a recipe every week to pair with the Buffalo Bills’ upcoming opponent, featuring a custom wing sauce to make it more “Buffalo.” Our opponent this week: the New York Jets.
It’s a “New York” team. Again. Thanks to the New York Giants this marks the fifth time we’ve dipped into the Big Apple for inspiration. Wait, what? Poutine is from Canada? Eh, that borders New York, just like the Jets do. Close enough. Plus spicy gravy just sounded good.
It also fits my recent theme of celebrating the good times. It was never personal Toronto, we just really, really didn’t want our team there. Now that there’s no concern with that consider this an apology for all the incredibly awful things I might have said about your country. I did’t even include maple syrup as a subtle dig. And trust me...I REEAAALLY wanted to.
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
2 lb bag of frozen french fries
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
3 Tbsp finely chopped onion
6 Tbsp flour (separated into 2 and 4)
32 oz beef broth*
1⁄2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
10 Tbsp water
12-16 oz cheese curds (two packages)
You’ll need: Air Fryer
- Add french fries to air fryer** on 350ºF; season with salt and pepper.
- Flip fries as needed while making gravy, remove when desired crispiness is reached.
- Add unsalted butter, garlic, and onions to medium pot on MED; stir for 2 min.
- Add 2 Tbsp flour to butter mixture and stir until even consistency, approximately 1 min.
- Stir in ingredients from broth to hot sauce and set heat to HIGH, until it reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat to MED. Add salt and pepper, tasting if necessary to get the right balance.
- Combine 4 Tbsp of flour and 10 Tbsp of water in separate bowl.
- Stir in flour/water mixture a little at a time until gravy reaches desired thickness***
- Plate fries.
- Add cheese curds to fries.
- Pour gravy over everything while still hot.
- Enjoy it, eh?****.
Wingin’ It Tips
*Which broth type you use can make a big difference so plan accordingly when accounting for the salt.
**With the air fryer you can get away with zero oil for most french fries without sacrificing quality. If you don’t have an air fryer, bake as directed.
***Don’t be too quick to add in the mixture. If you’re patient you can let the mixture boil down which helps thicken the gravy and intensify the flavor.
****Damn it, I made fun of Canada after all.