Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Bean has completely turned over the roster since he took over the team late in the 2018 offseason. Virtually none of the players from his predecessor remain on the roster and he, along with head coach Sean McDermott, have shaped this roster in their way of thinking.
This process has produced two playoff teams in three seasons and Bills fans have been pretty happy with the results. In January of 2018, fans gave him a 93% approval rating, which dipped to 92% in Janaury 2019. This year, he’s a candidate for NFL Executive of the Year and it’s your time to have your say.
Here’s a partial list of Beane’s accomplishments this year. Let us know if you approve or disapprove of the job he’s doing as general manager.
- Re-signed LB Lorenzo Alexander to a one-year deal, LS Reid Ferguson to a three-year extension, DT Jordan Phillips to a one-year contract, DE Jerry Hughes to a two-year deal, and K Stephen Hauschka to a two-year contract.
- Added OL Spencer Long before free agency began along with WR Duke Williams.
- Traded for WR Antonio Brown (allegedly), but Brown nixed the deal (allegedly) so the trade fell through.
- Signed WR Cole Beasley, WR John Brown, C Mitch Morse, OG Jon Feliciano, RB Frank Gore, TE Tyler Kroft, OT Ty Nsekhe, WR/KR Andre Roberts, and OT LaAdrian Waddle to open free agency. He later added LB Maurice Alexander, CB E.J. Gaines, RB/ST Senorise Perry, OG Quinton Spain, RB T.J. Yeldon, TE Lee Smith, and S Kurt Coleman.
- Released TE Charles Clay and RB Chris Ivory during offseason.
- Drafted DT Ed Oliver in the first round. Added OT Cody Ford, RB Devin Singletary, TE Dawson Knox, S Jaquan Johnson, and DE Darryl Johnson among the 2019 NFL Draft class. Signed UDFA kicker Chase McLaughlin (who was later released).
- Declined the fifth-year option on DE Shaq Lawson, making him a free agent after 2019 season.
- Traded for OL Ryan Bates, sending DE Eli Harold (a 2019 free-agent signing) to Philadelphia.
- Traded OL Wyatt Teller and 2021 seventh rounder for a 2020 fifth-round pick + 2020 sixth-round pick.
- Traded OL Russell Bodine for a 2020 sixth-round pick.
- Released RB LeSean McCoy as part of final cuts along with RB Marcus Murphy, S Kurt Coleman, QB Tyree Jackson, DT Kyle Peko, TE Keith Towbridge, CB Lafayette Pitts, WR Cam Phillips, RB Christian Wade, WR Duke Williams, and DE Eddie Yarbrough.
- Traded WR Zay Jones for 2021 fifth-round pick. Promoted WR Duke Williams from practice squad.
- Signed DT Corey Liuget during the season.
- Practice squad players that were signed to an active roster this year: DE Eddie Yarbough (Minnesota), DT Vincent Taylor (Buffalo), WR Duke Williams (Buffalo), DT Kyle Peko (Buffalo, Indianapolis, Denver)
- Hired Brian Gaine as Senior Personnel Advisor after he was fired by Houston as their general manager.
- National scout Marvin Allen hired by Miami as assistant general manager.
- Roster made the playoffs for the second time in three seasons.
Do you approve of the job Brandon Beane has done as general manager?
This poll is closed
Editor’s note: If you’d like to vote in the poll and you’re using a mobile device, you’ll need to click through to the site. Apple News and Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) strips the poll from the page.