Good morning, football! Wanted to let you know that at some point today, we’re launching 2020’s final round of updates to the commenting system. I’ve got the details on that and some info on what’s still to come in 2021 below.
As we promised, we’re continually improving the commenting platform in response to your feedback.
Here’s what’s coming in the latest update this Friday:
- We’ve removed ‘Read more of this conversation’! Yeah, we know. It wasn’t great. From Friday, no longer will ongoing conversations be pushed to another page. Instead, when they hit a certain depth, the view stays flat, and you can see who is replying to whom. This was developed in conjunction with our Feedback Group. Like everything we do, it’s a work in progress. We’ll be watching to see how it’s used, and how we can make it better. Let us know what you think.
- You can now see who’s Rec’ing your comments. Inside the ‘My Profile’ tab (where your comment history and notifications are), all your comments with Recs will now have a small arrow - click that to see who’s appreciating what you’re putting down.
- There’s a keyboard shortcut to quickly post a comment. We know what it’s like when you’re typing fast on Game Day and you just want to say it without moving the mouse. Hitting CONTROL-ENTER now posts your comment quick-smart without having to click ‘submit’.
- Better navigation. When you hit the bottom of the comments, you can now jump to the Discussions or Profile tab via a couple of easy links right there.
Plus a bunch of small fixes and improvements.
Here’s what we’re prioritizing for early next year:
- Single Site Bans for site moderators. It’s taken a little longer than we’d hoped, but we’ve nearly got it done. (Currently when someone is banned in our system, they’re banned across SB Nation.)
- Unread comments / Z Key. We hear you on this one, loud and clear. We’re working on it.
- A bunch of other improvements and features. Something else on your wishlist? Let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
And thank you to everyone who filled out our moderator survey. We’ve read everything you wrote, and it’s helping inform what we do next.
We learned a lot – for example, we learned that many of you don’t know that the My Profile tab exists (it’s right there at the top of the comments, and contains Email Notifications, Comment History, etc).