Although the rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations rates are decreasing across Western New York, cases continue to climb in at least 38 states, according to data from The New York Times.
ESPN reported that at least ten NFL teams had at least one player test positive for the coronavirus. Of the 88 players currently on Buffalo’s roster, 60 of them hail from states that have seen a spike in COVID-19 cases. The NFL hasn’t (as of yet) put forth any protocols for the pandemic. Training camps are set to begin later this month, with the regular season tentatively slated to start in two months.
All eyes will be on Major League Baseball, which has a July 23 date for the start of the 2020 season, and the National Basketball Association, which is resuming its season in a “bubble” at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando. How those two sports handle the pandemic and any subsequent player health issues could offer up a game plan for the NFL.
Among the topics covered on the latest Billieve Podcast:
- How the Buffalo Bills and their fellow NFL teams are developing protocols for 15%, 33%, and 50% seating for home games, in addition to the regular 100% seating plans, all of which come with their own question marks;
- What safeguards might be offered for those attending games?
- How comfortable should fans feel attending Bills games in 2020? (the Bills have already announced they are giving season ticket holders the option to opt out of the upcoming season).
- What would it be like to have no fans in the stands this year?
- Will COVID-19 impact/delay the start of the season?
- How likely is it that the NFL makes it through the season?
- Should the NFL consider playing the upcoming season in a bubble (like the NBA)?
- And much more!
Check out the latest Billieve Podcast for our thoughts on these topics, then join the conversation by leaving your thoughts in the comments section below.
Subscribe to the Buffalo Rumblings podcast channel featuring Billieve, Blitzed Bills, Buffalo Rumblings Q&A, Breaking Buffalo Rumblings, The Bruce Exclusive, Chat with NickBat, and Circling the Wagons:
Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Google Play | Spotify | Podbean | iHeartRadio | TuneIn | Megaphone
Ask Alexa or Google Home to play the Buffalo Rumblings podcast!
Editor’s note: If you’re viewing this article on Apple News, the embedded audio will be removed. Click through to the site in your browser or listen on iTunes.