As the Buffalo Bills (5-3) prepare to take on the New York Jets (2-6) in a Week 10 matchup, much has been made of the offense’s recent struggles, including being held out of the end zone during a shocking 9-6 setback to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
In today’s edition of the Bills daily links, we lead off by examining if the Bills are relying too much on the run-pass option, and if scaling back their reliance on the RPO could help the struggling offensive line get off the line of scrimmage quicker and with more explosiveness.
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills injuries: offense on track, Edmunds not practicing - Buffalo Rumblings
- Justin Zimmer’s season over, Buffalo Bills place him on injured reserve - Buffalo Rumblings
- Davis Webb elevated for Sunday’s game, potentially signaling Mitch Trubisky’s status - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills signing Cam Lewis to active roster - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills vs Jets: John Murphy won’t call game due to COVID diagnosis - Buffalo Rumblings
- The Bruce Exclusive: Dominoes - Buffalo Rumblings
Additional Bills news from around the web
Why Buffalo’s reliance on the run-pass option could be bad
The Bills ran a run-pass-option play on nine percent of their plays in 2020. This year, that figure is up to 18 percent, fourth-most in the NFL. Employing less RPOs could allow Buffalo’s struggling offensive line to fire off the ball with more explosiveness and be more physical, which in turn could open up the run game for Devin Singletary and Zack Moss. Plus, head coach Sean McDermott discusses the adjustments being made to remedy the running game, we get good news on the injury front for tight end Dawson Knox and offensive tackle Spencer Brown, and we break down the key matchups to watch vs. the Jets.
- PlayAction: A slight dip in RPOs could help Bills’ O-line fire off ball | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- McDermott: ‘Adjustments are being made’ - WGR 550
- Knox, Brown full participants on Thursday - WGR 550
- 7 things to watch for in Bills at Jets | Week 10 - BuffaloBills.com
- How we see it: News sports writers predict how Bills will fare vs. Jets | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- View from Vegas: Is it safe to back Bills laying two touchdowns on the road in a division game? | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- How to watch Buffalo Bills vs. New York Jets: Time, TV channel, free live stream info for NFL week 10 - newyorkupstate.com
DT Justin Zimmer out for the year
Defensive tackle Justin Zimmer’s 2021 season has been impacted by a knee injury, and his season is now officially finished after Buffalo placed him on season-ending injured reserve list on Thursday.
- Bills’ Justin Zimmer placed on season-ending IR; CB Cam Lewis signed to active roster - newyorkupstate.com
- Bills defensive tackle Justin Zimmer done for season; CB Cam Lewis moved to 53-man roster | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Bills defensive tackle Justin Zimmer out for season - WGR 550
- Buffalo Bills place Justin Zimmer on IR | wgrz.com
Radio announcer John Murphy to miss Jets game
Murphy has tested positive for COVID-19 and will be forced to miss his first Bills game in 20 years. Paul Dottino, who works for WFAN in New York City, will fill in for Murphy as the play-by-play voice and will call the game alongside Eric Wood and Sal Capaccio.
- Buffalo Bills radio broadcaster John Murphy to miss Sunday’s game due to illness - WKBW
- Bills radio announcer John Murphy out of Sunday’s game with Covid-19 | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
Odds and ends
We examine the numbers wide receiver Stefon Diggs has put up this year to debunk any notions that he is having a down year. We also take a look at a few free agents the Bills could sign to bolster their offensive line, hear what the national experts are saying about Buffalo at the season’s halfway point, and relive the top plays from the Bills this year.
- It feels like a down year for WR Stefon Diggs, but it really isn’t - Democrat & Chronicle
- Bills have OL options in free agency: Kelechi Osemele, David DeCastro, others who could help improve struggling unit - newyorkupstate.com
- Super Bowl LVI midseason predictions: Rams vs. Bills in title game? - NFL.com
- What they’re saying | National experts remain optimistic on the Bills at the 2021 midseason mark - BuffaloBills.com
- Top 10 Bills plays at the midseason 2021 season point - BuffaloBills.com