The Buffalo Bills beat the Miami Dolphins and the top team in the AFC lost on Sunday, but Buffalo is still the four seed in the conference following Week 8 action. With a logjam of teams with two losses, the Bills at least kept pace.
While the Cincinnati Bengals (5-3) lost to the New York Jets, Buffalo didn’t get as lucky with the Tennessee Titans (6-2), who pulled out a late victory over their divisional foes, the Indianapolis Colts, in overtime. Like their AFC East counterparts, the New England Patriots (4-4) also came up big, knocking off the 4-2 Los Angeles Chargers (4-3).
The Kansas City Chiefs (4-4) won on Monday Night Football, but did not move into playoff position. It’s going to be at least a week or two before they are back in the AFC mix.
The Baltimore Ravens(5-2) and Las Vegas Raiders (5-2) stayed ahead of Buffalo on their bye thanks to tiebreakers.
Elsewhere on the week, the Cleveland Browns (4-4) lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers (4-3), while the Denver Broncos (4-4) beat Washington. The Jacksonville Jaguars (1-6) lost to the Seattle Seahawks and the Houston Texans (1-7) were stomped by the Los Angeles Rams.
The middle of the pack in the AFC has six four-win teams and four five-win teams, meaning a lot of juggling is going to happen over the course of the next week or two.
Here are the complete AFC East and AFC Playoff Rankings. Note: Rankings are listed in playoff order, so division leaders are listed 1-4 followed by the Wild card teams.
- Buffalo Bills (5-2)
- New England Patriots (4-4)
- New York Jets (2-5)
- Miami Dolphins (1-7)
- Tennessee Titans (6-2)
- Las Vegas Raiders (5-2, 4-1 AFC)
- Baltimore Ravens (5-2, 4-2 AFC, SOV 14)
- Buffalo Bills (5-2, 4-2 AFC, SOV 8)
- Cincinnati Bengals (5-3)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (4-3, SOV 16)
- Los Angeles Chargers (4-3, SOV 14)
- New England Patriots (4-4, 4-1 AFC)
- Kansas City Chiefs (4-4, 3-1 vs common DEN opponents, 1-4 AFC, win over CLE)
- Cleveland Browns (4-4, 2-3 AFC, loss to KC, win over DEN)
- Denver Broncos (4-4, 2-2 vs common KC opponents, 2-4 AFC, loss to CLE)
- Indianapolis Colts (3-5)
- New York Jets (2-5)
- Jacksonville Jaguars (1-6)
- Houston Texans (1-7, 1-4 AFC)
- Miami Dolphins (1-7, 1-5 AFC)