The Buffalo Bills kick off the 2021 preseason schedule Friday evening when they travel to play the Detroit Lions, and for many Bills, the preseason opener represents a terrific opportunity to stake their claim to a roster spot.
In today’s edition of the Bills daily links, we discuss the cases for several players on the roster bubble and share the latest news from training camp, including impressive performances from wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, defensive lineman Efe Obada, and defensive tackles Star Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips.
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Four Downs: Josh Allen’s new contract marks a new era for Bills quarterbacks - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills have franchise cornerstones locked in for future - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills training camp battle: Cornerback 2 battle whimpering into third week - Buffalo Rumblings
- Circling the Wagons: Josh Allen extension, Jake Kumerow, positional battles w/Sean Murphy - Buffalo Rumblings
- Camp battle: Isaiah McKenzie has seemingly locked up returner job - Buffalo Rumblings
- Billieve: Most indispensable Bills (not named Josh Allen) - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills scouting reports in 90 days: quarterback Mitchell Trubisky - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane talks importance of special teams in roster decisions - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills scouting reports in 90 days: defensive tackle Vernon Butler - Buffalo Rumblings
- AFC East Roundup: Training camp storylines - Buffalo Rumblings
Additional Bills news from around the web
Recapping Day 10 of training camp
Emmanuel Sanders doesn’t miss a beat in his return to the practice field, Isaiah Hodgins displays his speed, and Efe Obada states his case for a roster spot.
- Bills’ Star Lotulelei explosive in practice on Day 10 of training camp; Efe Obada continues sack party (8 observations) - newyorkupstate.com
- Allen-to-Sanders connection heats up on Monday - WGR 550
- Top 3 things to know from Day 10 at 2021 Bills training camp - BuffaloBills.com
- Training camp observations: Harrison Phillips has added ‘good weight’ in fight for roster spot | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Bills training camp Day 10: Emmanuel Sanders doesn’t look rusty, tight end competition heats up – The Athletic
- Buffalo Bills Training Camp Diary: highlights and insights from Monday, August 9 - WKBW
- Stefon Diggs leads lengthy list of Bills players sitting out practice Monday | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
Efe Obada out to prove he’s more than just a feel-good story
The defensive end came to the NFL via the International Player Pathway Program and has been known for overcoming adversity to make it to the NFL. This year, he’s out to show he can contribute to Buffalo’s pass rush.
- With new chapter in Buffalo, Efe Obada aims to be defined by his work | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- More than a great story | Efe Obada is equipped to make an impact on the Bills defensive line - BuffaloBills.com
How Justin Zimmer developed into a respected leader
The Bills are the fourth stop for the defensive tackle in the NFL, and after providing steady play for the defensive line in 2020, Zimmer has evolved into one of the most respected players in the locker room.
- After his share of letdowns, Justin Zimmer has become one of the most respected players on the Bills’ roster – The Athletic
- Justin Zimmer hopes to have finally found a permanent NFL home in Buffalo | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
Roster questions abound on the defensive line
How many defensive ends will make the 53-man roster? What kind of lift can Buffalo’s first- and second-round draft picks—Gregory Rousseau and Carlos “Boogie” Basham Jr. provide to the pass rush? Is this the year Harrison Phillips puts it all together?
- Bills need pass rush boost; rookies Rousseau, Basham will try to provide it - Democrat & Chronicle
- Bills Mailbag: Who’s the odd man out at defensive end? | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Phillips feels healthy, ready to contribute to Bills defense - WGR 550
New stadium updates
The Pegulas came out asking for 100 percent public financing for the Buffalo Bills new stadium. State lawmakers are saying “not so fast.”
- State lawmakers on Bills’ request for 100% public financing for stadium: ‘a non-starter’ | State-and-regional | buffalonews.com
- Bills’ 2013 stadium deal deferred the most expensive question – to build or not | Local News | buffalonews.com
Odds and ends
Competition to make the 53-man roster is going to be stiff. Take a minute to learn what Buffalo’s coaches and media members are saying about bubble Bills like Efe Obada, Jake Kumerow, Darryl Johnson Jr., and more. Plus, learn why Josh Allen’s contract extension is not without risk, hear what offensive coordinator Brian Daboll told the Bills to keep them humble and hungry heading into a season full of expectations, discover which Bill is one of the 25 most intriguing players in 2021, and more!
- Buffalo Bills on the bubble: What they’re saying about Jake Kumerow, Darryl Johnson, Efe Obada, more - newyorkupstate.com
- There’s more risk to Allen’s new deal than most contracts - WGR 550
- Cosell: Josh Allen may be ‘most physically gifted QB’ in NFL - WGR 550
- Erik Brady: Ex-Bills QB Daryle Lamonica relishes ties to Josh Allen, Tom Flores | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- What Brian Daboll said to keep Bills humble - WGR 550
- The 25 most intriguing players for the 2021 NFL season – The Athletic
- Kicker Tyler Bass, punter Matt Haack running unopposed in Bills camp - Democrat & Chronicle
- NFL Network’s Cynthia Frelund partners with Buffalo Bills - BuffaloBills.com