It wasn’t pretty and there certainly were plenty of areas the team needs to work on, but the Buffalo Bills rallied for a 16-15 win over the Detroit Lions in their preseason opener Friday night at Ford Field in Detroit.
In today’s edition of the Bills daily links, we break down the good, the bad, and the ugly from Buffalo’s win in Week 1 of the preseason as the Bills ran their preseason winning streak to six.
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills 16, Detroit Lions 15: Rapid recap and notes - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills camp battle: Tyrel Dodson leading the depth linebacker competition - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills training camp: Marquez Stevenson trending down - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills scouting reports in 90 days: offensive lineman Daryl Williams - Buffalo Rumblings
Additional Bills news from around the web
Bills extend their preseason winning streak
The Buffalo Bills did just enough to walk away from the Motor City with a 16-15 victory in Week 1 of the preseason. In his first action for the Bills, Jake Fromm engineered a game-winning drive, while Tyler Bass booted three field goals, including the eventual game-winner from 50 yards out. Read all about the victory, discover who stood out (Devin Singletary, Greg Rousseau, Efe Obada, Davis Webb, Andre Smith and Josh Thomas) and who has work to do (Dane Jackson, Carlos “Boogie” Basham Jr., Spencer Brown, Siran Neal, Tommy Doyle, and Bobby Hart).
- Bills starters sit during sloppy but victorious preseason opener - Democrat & Chronicle
- Bills preseason opener: Eight observations as Tyler Bass and Marquez Stevenson help Buffalo edge the Lions – The Athletic
- Observations: Devin Singletary comes out hot in Bills’ opening preseason win | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Bills’ Greg Rousseau shines in debut vs. Lions: Preseason Week 1 stock up, stock down - newyorkupstate.com
- Bills’ Devin Singletary shows off motor, Andre Smith all over the field vs. Lions (7 observations) - newyorkupstate.com
- Jake Fromm’s relief pitcher mentality pays off for Bills in preseason win over Lions - newyorkupstate.com
- Former emergency QB Jake Fromm orchestrates game-winning drive in NFL debut for Buffalo Bills - ESPN.com Buffalo Bills Blog
- 2021 NFL preseason, Week 1: What we learned from Friday’s tripleheader - NFL.com
Rookie edge rusher Greg Rousseau shines
The Bills had to be pleased with what they saw from Rousseau, their first-round selection from the 2021 NFL Draft who recorded a sack against last year’s No. 7 overall pick, Penei Sewell.
- In battle of first-round picks, Bills defensive end Greg Rousseau gets upper hand | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Bills’ Greg Rousseau, Boogie Basham share ‘surreal’ moment before NFL debut - newyorkupstate.com
Sean McDermott’s postgame thoughts
Head coach Sean McDermott gave praise to Fromm and Singletary and lauded Buffalo’s pass rushers following the one-point win over the Lions.
- Bills’ Sean McDermott on Jake Fromm: ‘He doesn’t seem to be fazed’ - Yahoo! Sports
- McDermott praises Singletary, Fromm, pass rush after 16-15 victory in Detroit | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
New stadium tidbits
Late Friday, Pegula Sports and Entertainment told Mayor Byron W. Brown that it will seek a “public-private partnership” with state and local government to build the team’s new football stadium. Plus, hear why one experienced banker for NFL Stadium thinks Bills fans should not panic over talks about financing for the team’s new stadium,
- PSE confirms plans for public-private partnership to finance new Buffalo Bills stadium | Local News | buffalonews.com
- 'Taxpayers, wipe your brow': Why Bills stadium rhetoric is causing unnecessary angst – The Athletic
Odds and ends
Learn how running back Matt Breida is impacting the Bills’ running backs while vying for a role on the offense, hear why defensive lineman Efe Obada says fellow Briton Christian Wade will “shock the world,” get the latest on tight end Tommy Sweeney’s full recovery from myocarditis, hear why former Bill Terrell Owens thinks he can come back and contribute at age 47, and more!
- At 26, Matt Breida is more than happy to play the role of wise veteran in the Bills’ running back room – The Athletic
- NFL: Christian Wade will ‘shock the world’, says Buffalo Bills team-mate Efe Obada - BBC Sport
- Sweeney fully recovered from heart condition caused by COVID - WGR 550
- 47-year-old Terrell Owens discusses potential NFL return - WGR 550
- Bills have reached out to Olympic gold medalist wrestler - WGR 550