Chicago Bears quarterback Justin Fields presents a unique challenge to NFL defenses, and the Buffalo Bills will be the next team to try and contain the dynamic second-year player when the two teams square off Saturday in frigid conditions at Soldier Field.
Today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks leads off by previewing the Week 16 Christmas Eve game between the Bills and the Bears, including analyzing the key matchups to watch and discussing what’s wrong with Buffalo’s run defense.
Bills vs. Bears Week 16 previews
Read up on the top stories to watch when the Bills face the Bears, including how Buffalo’s safeties will need to be on high alert for deep throws by Fields, how the Bills have re-discovered their red zone magic on offense, what Buffalo’s defense needs to do to contain Fields, and more! Also included: an exploration on how Fields and this year’s Bears team is similar to Josh Allen and the Bills during Allen’s rookie season of 2018.
- PlayAction newsletter Dec. 22, 2022: Bills’ safeties will be on alert for deep throws by Fields - Buffalo News
- Top 6 storylines to follow for Week 16 | Bills at Bears - BuffaloBills.com
- 5 things to watch for in Bills vs. Bears | Week 16 - BuffaloBIlls.com
- McDermott: Justin Fields has had great second season in NFL - WGR 550
- Bills defense looks to improve after season-long issue with missed tackles - Democrat & Chronicle
- How Justin Fields and the 2022 Bears compare to Josh Allen’s 2018 Bills - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Chicago Bears up next for Buffalo Bills: Here’s what to know - Democrat & Chronicle
- Bills fans can attend Bears game for next to nothing if they’re willing to brave cold - newyorkupstate.com
Bills-Bears injury report: Mitch Morse, Boogie Basham ruled out
The Bills will be without center Mitch Morse (concussion) and defensive end Boogie Basham (ankle) when the team takes on the Bears Saturday on Christmas Eve. Morse, who suffered his sixth concussion in the win over the Miami Dolphins, remains in the league’s concussion protocol. Defensive tackles Ed Oliver (calf) and Jordan Phillips (shoulder) are listed as questionable, according to head coach Sean McDermott. Oliver sat out Thursday’s practice, while Phillips was a limited participant.
- Bills center Mitch Morse, defensive end Boogie Basham out vs. Bears - Buffalo News
- Bills declare Mitch Morse and Boogie Basham out for Bears game | Week 16 - BuffaloBills.com
- Oliver, Phillips questionable for Bills against Bears - WGR 550
What to make of Bills’ run defense woes?
Under defensive coordinator/assistant head coach Leslie Frazier’s watch, the Bills’ run defense had slowly returned to form over their last three games heading into Week 15’s showdown with the Miami Dolphins. But despite coming away with a 32-29 win in the snow over Miami, should Bills fans be concerned, and what can Buffalo do to re-gain its stout form when it comes to containing the opposition’s ground game?
- Mark Gaughan: Leslie Frazier has faith in Bills defense as questions rise on run front - Buffalo News
- What happened to the Bills’ run defense and is it a problem moving forward? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Can Bills defense take lessons learned from facing Lamar Jackson into game vs. Bears’ Justin Fields? - newyorkupstate.com
Even more Bills news and notes
Learn how two injured Bills defenders, safety Micah Hyde and pass rusher Von Miller, are helping coach up Buffalo’s defense; what wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie bought his fellow wideouts for the holidays; and how executives Terrance Gray and Malik Boyd are making the most of a league-wide program aimed at connecting minority front-office prospects with ownership groups and senior executives.
- Despite being sidelined, Micah Hyde, Von Miller inspire Bills’ D - Buffalo Bills Blog- ESPN.com Buffalo Bills blog
- Bills’ Isaiah McKenzie buys wide receivers custom arcade machines - Buffalo News
- Inside the Bills: How Bills executives Terrance Gray, Malik Boyd aim to benefit from NFL accelerator program - Buffalo News
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills vs. Bears injury report: Mitch Morse, Boogie Basham ruled out - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills-Dolphins analysis: Breaking down Buffalo’s coverage tactics - Buffalo Rumblings
- AFC playoff picture: Week 16 Buffalo Bills rooting interests - Buffalo Rumblings
- Opinion: Any minimization of opponents is a minimization of Bills - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills-Bengals Week 17: Two Cincy pass rushers may sit out due to injury - Buffalo Rumblings