The Buffalo Bills know they are set at starting quarterback with Josh Allen, but behind the dynamic Allen, there are plenty of questions entering the 2022 NFL season.
After enjoying having a veteran presence in Matt Barkley (2018-2020) and Mitchell Trubisky (2021), the Bills are searching for a backup quarterback, with Trubisky set to become a free agent, and former practice squad QB Davis Webb signing with the New York Giants.
Today’s edition of the Bills daily links leads off by discussing Buffalo’s backup QB situation and what approach the Bills should take to shore up the position behind Allen.
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Opinion: Bills need to take two-pronged approach to backup QB this offseason - Buffalo Rumblings
- Free-agent QBs for the Buffalo Bills to consider as Josh Allen’s backup - Buffalo Rumblings
- How the Bills were left with only one QB on their roster - Buffalo Rumblings
- All-22 year in review: Mitchell Trubisky, QB2 - Buffalo Rumblings
- 2022 NFL Free Agency: Contract projection for Mitch Trubisky - Buffalo Rumblings
- 2022 NFL Draft: Backing up Josh Allen on the Buffalo Bills - Buffalo Rumblings
- State of the Buffalo Bills roster: Cornerbacks - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills officially announce new coaching hires, promotion of John Butler - Buffalo Rumblings
- NABP | One move Brandon Beane HAS to make... - Buffalo Rumblings
- The Bruce Exclusive: The Podcaster’s Combine - Buffalo Rumblings
Additional Bills news from around the web
Should the Bills extend LB Tremaine Edmunds?
In the same draft class that netted the Bills Josh Allen (2018), Buffalo also used a first-round pick on linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, at the time the youngest player in the league. After playing his first four seasons as the quarterback of Buffalo’s defense, Edmunds has displayed a ton of physical talent, but for some, there are still lingering doubts about whether Edmunds deserves an extension.
- Has Tremaine Edmunds done enough to merit a contract extension with Buffalo Bills later this year? | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Buffalo Bills face key decision on extending linebacker Tremaine Edmunds - Buffalo Bills Blog- ESPN
- Are the Bills headed toward a Matt Milano vs. Tremaine Edmunds decision at linebacker in 2023? – The Athletic
Why Siran Neal re-signed with Bills
Neal and the Bills agreed to a three-year contract extension that will make him the highest-paid special teamer in the league on a deal worth $10.9 million. Neal discusses why he wanted to return to Buffalo, why the Bills have “moved on” from the kickoff issue that eventually doomed them in the playoffs, and why Neal doesn’t want to explain what went wrong during those excruciating final 13 seconds vs. the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Newly re-signed cornerback Siran Neal says Bills are sticking together after loss in Kansas City | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- ‘More of a family’ | Siran Neal explains why he signed an extension with the Bills - BuffaloBills.com
- Bills special teams ace Siran Neal says Buffalo has ‘moved on’ from kickoff issue with 13 seconds left in loss to K.C. - NFL.com
- Siran Neal to Bills fans wanting explanation on 13 seconds: ‘We don’t have to discuss anything’ - newyorkupstate.com
Bills announce updates to their coaching staff
The Buffalo Bills have announced several coaching staff changes: three internal moves and six new hires. The moves include the retirement of linebackers coach Bob Babich, the promotion of his son, Bobby Babich, as the new linebackers coach, the promotion of former nickel coach Jim Salgado to coach the safeties, and the news that defensive backs coach John Butler will take over as Buffalo’s passing game coordinator.
- Bills announce several coaching staff updates - WGR 550
- Bills announce 10 moves on their coaching staff - BuffaloBills.com
- Buffalo Bills hire Cory Harkey as assistant special teams coach | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Bills coaching moves: John Butler adds defensive passing game coordinator title; Jim Salgado is safeties coach | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Bills announce former linebackers coach Bob Babich has retired - BuffaloBills.com
Odds and ends
Could the Bills be returning to St. John Fisher for training camp this summer? Plus, we examine the state of Buffalo’s offensive line, dive into why the Bills struggled in close games, discuss how much the Bills need to change their No. 1-ranked defense this offseason, and more!
- Bills looking to return to St. John Fisher for training camp in 2022 (report) - newyorkupstate.com
- Capaccio: 2022 State of the Bills: Offensive Line - WGR 550
- Bills Mailbag: Why did the Bills struggle in close games? | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- How much change does the Bills’ No. 1-ranked defense need this offseason? | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com
- Alan Pergament: Ranking the actors, athletes and analysts on the Bills Celebrity Mafia | Television | buffalonews.com