We’ve made it to August and Week 2 of training camp. The battles for roster position are heating up, along with the temperatures, and sparks are flying as fights have broken out in each of the padded practices so far.
The Buffalo Bills reported to training camp last Saturday and their first practice was that Sunday at St. John Fisher. After public practices on Sunday and Monday, they practiced away from the prying eyes of fans on Tuesday but those fans were back on Wednesday. Thursday was the first off day of camp, and the players returned to the field Friday. On Saturday July 30th, the team had their first day of padded practices before the second off day on Sunday, July 31st. They got back after it on Monday.
The press is very limited in what they are allowed to share, but fans are in the seats (if they were able to procure tickets ahead of time) and some of them have been sharing lots of info on Twitter.
Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott has repeatedly spoken to the media and will address the press before Saturday’s practice. A host of other players have also spoken with reporters, but not Josh Allen, who we assume will make some public Q&A eventually.
Practice starts at 9:45 AM while the gates at Fisher open at 8:45. Tickets are required and sold out.
Here are the biggest storylines so far in camp:
- S Micah Hyde went down and was carted off with an injury on Friday. McDermott said he is day to day with hip soreness. He returned in a very limited fashion on Monday, missing only one full day of practice. We will see when he takes passing shell or team reps.
- LT Dion Dawkins returned for Monday’s practice after being out Friday and Saturday for undisclosed personal reasons.
- At the end of the first day of padded practice on Saturday, Josh Allen started a fight with Jordan Phillips. Allen says the competitive juices were flowing out there and it’s not a big deal. Boogie Basham came out swinging on Day 2 with another fight.
- Jamison Crowder has missed every practice since the first at SJF, opening the door for Isaiah McKenzie and rookie Khalil Shakir to receive big snap counts with the ones and twos. He was back but limited on Monday after missing a week.
- With Spencer Brown limited and Saffold out, the Bills have been rotating a pair of offensive linemen at both right tackle and left guard. David Quessenberry and Tommy Doyle have been getting that run. Ryan Bates and Dion Dawkins have both missed time, as well, so we’re seeing a pretty clear pecking order on the offensive line. Even Bobby Hart got some first-team reps on Monday.
- CB Tre’Davious White and OG Ike Boettger begin the year on the PUP list, as expected. They are both recovering from serious injuries suffered during the 2021 season. Joining them on PUP is DT Eli Ankou.
- Penciled-in starter Rodger Saffold was in a car accident recently and suffered what general manager Brandon Beane referred to as “cracked ribs”. He begins the year on the Non-Football Injury list and a timetable for his return hasn’t been set. You’d think at this point it’d be all about pain tolerance, but with Saffold, he’s a veteran who has worked with new o-line coach Aaron Kromer before.
- Two pending free agents have been talking potential contract extensions. Jordan Poyer’s agent was in attendance as camp opened and Dawson Knox was optimistic about staying in Buffalo.
I’ve included the Bills Reporters Twitter list to follow along with the updates from the local beat reporters.