Then, quarterback Josh Allen revived Buffalo’s attack, directing two fourth-quarter touchdown drives and the defense made the lead stand as the Bills prevailed 14-9 on Sunday Night Football.
Today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks recaps the win and offers up observations, positional grades, and report cards as the Bills improved to 4-2 on the year.
Game recap, key plays: Bills hang on vs. Giants
The Buffalo Bills needed a fourth-quarter rally to overcome a Giants’ team starting their backup quarterback (Tyrod Taylor) and with a litany of injuries that forced many backups into the starting lineup. Linked here: a recap of the win, analysis and break downs of the key plays to the game — including Taylor audibling to a run play at the end of the first half that cost the Giants points. Plus, how Josh Allen was able to resuscitate the offense with two great touchdown drives in the fourth quarter, and how cornerback Taron Johnson came up with a breakup on the final play to preserve the W.
- How it happened: Top plays, standout players from Bills’ win over Giants - Buffalo News
- Plays that shaped the game: Bills’ Taron Johnson, Giants’ Darren Waller address final play - Buffalo News
- How the Bills overcame themselves to pull off Sunday night’s win over Giants - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Bills need fourth-quarter comeback to survive wire-to-wire scare from Giants - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Buffalo Bills survive ugly game against NY Giants, win 14-9 (game recap) - newyorkupstate.com
- Giants 9-14 Bills (Oct 15, 2023) Game Recap - ESPN
- Bills 14, Giants 9 | Final score, game Highlights, stats to know - BuffaloBills.com
- Quintin Morris: ‘Just happy (Josh Allen) trusted me to make a play’ on Bills game-winning touchdown - Buffalo News
- Giants coach Brian Daboll on end of half clock mismanagement: ‘I don’t want to talk about it’ - Buffalo News
- Tyrod Taylor: Giants’ goal-line gaffe in 1st half ‘falls on me’ - ESPN
- Bills QB Josh Allen heads to X-ray room after victory: ‘We’ll be all right’ - Buffalo News
- McDermott proud of Bills defense to close out Sunday’s win - WGR 550
Observations from Buffalo’s escape at home
There are no style points in the NFL, and a win goes down as a win, no matter how ugly it was. But make no mistake: that was an abysmal effort by Buffalo’s offense, allowing the banged-up Giants to dominate time of possession while the Bills were blanked through the first three quarters for the first time in more than five years.
Read how the Bills were able to avoid what would have been a terrible loss, what went wrong with Buffalo’s secondary receiving options, how unsung heroes Quintin Morris, Deonte Harty and Dorian Williams stepped up, and more!
- Observations: No style points awarded, but Bills hold on for much-needed win over Giants - Buffalo News
- Bills fortunate to beat Giants: Six reasons why they avoided a bad loss - Democrat & Chronicle
- Three questions: Bills secondary receiving weapons mostly come up small vs. Giants - Buffalo News
- Ryan O’Halloran: Bills win, but broken offense is cause for concern - Buffalo News
- Unsung heroes | Quintin Morris, Deonte Harty and Dorian Williams step up in Bills win over Giants - BuffaloBills.com
- Top 3 things we learned from Bills vs. Giants | Sunday Night Football - BuffaloBills.com
- Simon: Bills make it harder than it should’ve been - WGR 550
- Thurman Thomas chimes in on Buffalo Bills’ run game - Should Ken Dorsey listen? - newyorkupstate.com
- Bulldog: Deep Breaths - WGR 550
Report cards and positional grades
Catch up on report cards to see which players are trending up and whose stock is on the decline following Buffalo’s close-call win over the Giants.
- Report Card: Grades reflect nature of Bills’ too-close-for-comfort win - Buffalo News
- Bills report card: Giants blunders at goal line help hand victory to Buffalo - Democrat & Chronicle
RB Damien Harris suffers scary neck injury
Buffalo’s running back hurt his neck and left the field in an ambulance. As Harris was leaving, he gave a thumbs-up to the fans and his teammates. Tuesday morning, Harris was released from the hospital and the Bills said he will “be fine.”
- Bills notes: Running back Damien Harris leaves field in ambulance - Buffalo News
- Bills running back Damien Harris taken off field in ambulance after hit - Democrat & Chronicle
- Buffalo Bills RB exits game via ambulance after serious injury vs. Giants - newyorkupstate.com
- Bills RB Damien Harris taken off in ambulance with neck injury vs. Giants - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Source - Bills RB Damien Harris out of hospital, will ‘be fine’ - ESPN.com Buffalo Bills blog
- How Damien Harris’ scare evokes sickening memories of Damar Hamlin’s cardiac arrest - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Bills’ Dion Dawkins on Damien Harris leaving game in ambulance: ‘Brings on PTSD a little’ - newyorkupstate.com
- Bills announce injury update on Damien Harris - BuffaloBills.com
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- More questions than answers in Buffalo Bills’ 14-9 win over NY Giants - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills RB Damien Harris suffered neck sprain vs. Giants - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills RT Spencer Brown questionable to return with a knee injury - Buffalo Rumblings
- Stefon Diggs now has 4th-most receptions in Bills history - Buffalo Rumblings