With less than six minutes remaining, the Patriots led the Bills by 12 points, 22-10. Despite Josh Allen orchestrating two impressive late touchdown drives, the Bills’ beleaguered defense allowed Mac Jones to march New England downfield and score the game-winning touchdown as Buffalo suffered a deflating 29-25 setback to the Patriots.
Today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks recaps the loss and offers up observations, positional grades, and report cards as the Bills fell to 4-3 on the year.
Game recap, key plays: Bills fall flat vs. Patriots
Heading into the game, the Patriots were almost as likely to turn the ball over (15.5%) as they were to score points (18.3%), but the Bills were apparently the perfect elixir to cure New England’s offense.
Linked here: a break down of the plays that shaped the game — including Josh Allen’s interception on Buffalo’s first offensive play of the game, a pick penalty on running back Latavius Murray that negated a touchdown toss from Allen to Dawson Knox, and a bad sack allowed by rookie guard O’Cyrus Torrence that led to a missed Tyler Bass field goal — and hear from head coach Sean McDermott on how his team “needs to continue to find answers” following this inexcusable loss.
- Plays that shaped the game: Patriots’ Peppers on Allen’s interception, ‘We call that bait season’ - Buffalo News
- How it happened: Top plays, standout players, key statistics from Bills’ loss to Patriots - Buffalo News
- Patriots shock Bills, who drop second divisional game - WGR 550
- Bills notebook: Jordan Poyer’s fumble kept hope alive; Ty Johnson makes debut - Buffalo News
- Patriots 29, Bills 25 (Oct 22, 2023) Game Recap - ESPN
- Patriots 29, Bills 25 | Final score, game highlights + stats to know - BuffaloBills.com
- McDermott: ‘We need to continue to find answers’ - WGR 550
- Sean McDermott on reason for Bills’ slow starts: ‘I wish I could tell you’ - Buffalo News
- How the Bills’ veterans put loss to Patriots in perspective - BuffaloBills.com
Observations from Buffalo’s road loss
The Bills are in serious trouble and their warts on both sides of the ball were on display during the troubling loss to New England. Read how Buffalo is facing major problems on both sides of the ball — including an offense that continues to get off to slow starts and a banged-up defense that allowed New England to move up and down the field at will on Sunday.
Plus, an examination into just how good this Bills team is, analysis of how rookie tight end Dalton Kincaid was finally able to enjoy a breakout performance, sorting through the other takeaways as Buffalo falls to 1-2 in AFC East play, and more!
- Observations: Bills have big problems on both sides of the ball in loss to Patriots - Buffalo News
- Three questions: Blame for loss begins with Bills’ stumbling offense - Buffalo News
- Josh Allen, Bills’ offense searching for answers - ESPN.com Buffalo Bills blog
- Loss to Patriots forces Bills into difficult conversations about slow-starting offense - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Buffalo Bills baffled by slow starts, don’t know how opponents keep stuffing offense early in game - newyorkupstate.com
- What’s actually changed for the Buffalo Bills from the recent past - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Ryan O’Halloran: Latest loss shows maybe the Bills just aren’t very good - Buffalo News
- Josh Allen says things are ‘pretty bleak’: 6 reasons Bills may struggle to make playoffs - Democrat & Chronicle
- Buffalo Bills running out of time to find answers after loss to bad Patriots team (Encouraged/worried) - newyorkupstate.com
- Graham: Bills defense has no answers for Mac Jones in loss to Patriots - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Bills can’t complete comeback in inexcusable loss to Patriots (Instant observations) - newyorkupstate.com
- Bulldog: Fooled around and found out - WGR 550
- Simon: It’s officially time to be worried about Bills - WGR 550
- Rookie tight end Dalton Kincaid ‘definitely a bright part’ of Bills’ loss to Patriots - Buffalo News
- Top 3 things we learned from Bills at Patriots | Week 7 - BuffaloBills.com
- Buffalo Bills’ playoff odds plummet following loss to New England Patriots - newyorkupstate.com
Report cards and positional grades
Catch up on report cards to see what players are trending up and whose stock is on the decline following Buffalo’s loss to the Patriots.
- Report Card: Pass defense, coaching once again fail Bills in loss to Patriots - Buffalo News
- Capaccio: Arrow Up/Arrow Down: Bills at Patriots - WGR 550
- Bills report card: Buffalo is a mess after disastrous loss to Mac Jones and Patriots - Democrat & Chronicle
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills thoroughly outclassed in deflating loss to formerly listless Patriots - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills-Patriots NFL Week 7 recap, reaction to Buffalo’s exasperating L - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills at Patriots penalty recap: Plenty of yellow to go around - Buffalo Rumblings
- SB Nation Reacts: Fair or not... welcome to the hot seat, Ken Dorsey - Buffalo Rumblings