Following Sunday evening’s 37-34 loss in overtime to the Philadelphia Eagles, the Buffalo Bills (6-6) find themselves on the outside looking in for an AFC playoff spot. Quarterback Josh Allen put on his Superman cape and engineered another clutch late-game drive to put the Bills up. But in a troubling trend, Buffalo’s defense couldn’t hold onto another late lead.
Today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks takes a look at why, under defensive-minded head coach Sean McDermott, the defense has been unable to close out close games this season.
Why can’t Buffalo’s defense close out close games?
Despite Josh Allen’s heroics, the Bills came up short against the defending NFC champion Eagles. This most recent late-game collapse represented the fourth time this year alone that Allen orchestrated a drive that put the Bills up or tied the score with less than two minutes remaining in regulation. Buffalo lost all four of those games.
Linked here: why McDermott’s defense has been unable to hold onto late leads, why the Bills have been among the unluckiest teams in the league, whether McDermott should be on the hot seat following another late-game meltdown, and why Buffalo faces an uphill climb to qualify for the postseason.
- Why can’t the Bills’ defense close out games? - ESPN.com Buffalo Bills blog
- Buffalo Bills coaches wrestle with problem of defense’s late-game collapses - Buffalo News
- If you believe in ‘luck,’ formula shows Buffalo Bills among the unluckiest teams in NFL - Buffalo News
- Bills’ Sean McDermott gets outcoached in loss to Eagles (Encouraged/worried) - newyorkupstate.com
- NFL Week 12 Hot Read: The Buffalo Bills Are at a Tipping Point - The Ringer
- The struggling Buffalo Bills are wasting an MVP-level season from Josh Allen - Yahoo! Sports
- Mueller: These NFL teams have — or had — coaches on the hot seat. Can they make things right? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- AFC Wild-Card Derby: Seven teams vying for three spots entering December - Buffalo News
Even more Bills news
Learn how former Bills linebacker London Fletcher was named one of 25 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Tuesday, hear former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky discuss Buffalo’s playoff chances and why Josh Allen has been outstanding, and discover what offensive coordinator Joe Brady and assistant head coach/defensive line coach Eric Washington think the team needs to work on heading into the bye week.
- Ex-Bill London Fletcher among 25 semifinalists for Hall of Fame - Buffalo News
- Dan Orlovsky: Bills Playoff Chances And Praise for Josh Allen - BuffaloBills.com
- Top takeaways and homework assignments for the Bills heading into their bye week - BuffaloBills.com
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Revisiting five Buffalo Bills to watch at the Philadelphia Eagles - Buffalo Rumblings
- Revisiting five Philadelphia Eagles to watch vs. the Buffalo Bills - Buffalo Rumblings
- One-Stat Recap: Buffalo Bills blow a great performance against the Philadelphia Eagles - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills stand pat in most Week 13 NFL power rankings - Buffalo Rumblings
- Code of Conduct special will Bills OL legends John Fina, Jerry Ostroski, and Eric Wood - Buffalo Rumblings