Following a turbulent week at One Bills Drive, the Buffalo Bills desperately needed a win Sunday afternoon on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs, and thanks to another late-game drive from quarterback Josh Allen (and, finally, a clutch stop late by the defense), the Bills kept their playoff hopes alive with a 20-17 win over the Chiefs.
Today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks offers up observations and analysis from Buffalo’s road triumph vs. the Chiefs.
Recapping Buffalo’s 20-17 win over Kansas City
The biggest play of the game occurred when referee Carl Cheffers (correctly) flagged Kadarius Toney for offensive offside, nullifying what would have been a go-ahead touchdown after Travis Kelce caught a pass from Patrick Mahomes, then lateraled the ball to Toney, who raced in for the touchdown. Thankfully for Bills fans, the play didn’t count, and Buffalo’s pass rush made life miserable on the final two Mahomes pass attempts.
Recapping the win by Buffalo here, including dissecting the other key plays and offer up other recaps as the Bills got back into the playoff race in a crowded AFC field.
- How It Happened: Top plays, standout players from Bills’ win over Kansas City - Buffalo News
- Plays that shaped the game: Bills front four closed deal after Chiefs’ epic lateral play - Buffalo News
- Buffalo Bills hang on to beat the Chiefs to keep their playoff hopes alive (game recap) - newyorkupstate.com
- Bills 20-17 Chiefs (Dec 10, 2023) Game Recap - ESPN
- Bills 20, Chiefs 17 | Final score, game highlights + stats to know - BuffaloBills.com
- Chiefs coach Andy Reid calls penalty on touchdown ‘a bit embarrassing’ for NFL - Buffalo News
- Mahomes, Reid criticize offside call that negated Kelce lateral TD - ESPN
- Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid rip refs after Bills upset Chiefs: ‘It’s not what we want for the NFL’ - The Athletic (subscription required)
- McDermott wanted to be aggressive coming out of bye - WGR 550
- Allen: Sunday’s victory over Chiefs wasn’t prettiest of wins - WGR 550
- ‘He’s one of the better humans on this planet’ | Bills players show their support for Sean McDermott following win - BuffaloBills.com
- Why did Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes melt down on sidelines in loss to Buffalo Bills? - newyorkupstate.com
- Patrick Mahomes rips NFL refs for Kadarius Toney offsides penalty - USA Today
Observations and analysis from Bills’ win at Arrowhead
Watching head coach Sean McDermott and his players after the final seconds had ticked off the clock, you could tell this was a special win, and not just because it kept Buffalo’s playoff hopes alive. Following a tough, trying week, and read how the Bills rallied around their embattled head coach, how the defense was (finally) able to come up with enough late stops to close out a win, praise the pass rush for applying pressure on Mahomes when it mattered most. Plus, crediting running back James Cook for a productive day as a receiver and as a runner, analyzing the impact that defensive tackle Ed Oliver and defensive end Leonard Floyd had, and more!
- Observations: Bills shake off tough week, rally around coach with victory against Kansas City - Buffalo News
- Graham: Bills rally around Sean McDermott in season-saving win over Chiefs - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Bills rally around Sean McDermott after tumultuous week: 6 reasons they resurrected season - Democrat & Chronicle
- Buffalo Bills ‘didn’t flinch’ in topping Kansas City Chiefs - ESPN.com Buffalo Bills blog
- How Bills rallied around embattled coach in season-saving win vs Chiefs - newyorkupstate.com
- Bills-Chiefs observations: Late-game defense bucks usual trend in Kansas City - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Bills survive against Chiefs, save their season with defensive stop on final drive (Instant Observations) - newyorkupstate.com
- Simon: Bills defense finally comes up big - WGR 550
- Top 3 things we learned from Bills at Chiefs | Week 14 - BuffaloBills.com
- NFL 2023 Week 14: Biggest questions, risers and takeaways - ESPN
- NFL Week 14 takeaways: Bills playoff bound? How far can Joe Flacco take the Browns? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Here’s why the Bills were charged with a 10-second runoff late in first half - Buffalo News
Report cards and positional grades
Catch up on report cards to see what players are trending up and whose stock is on the decline following Buffalo’s clutch road win over the Chiefs.
- Report Card: It wasn’t perfect, but Bills pass a big test against Chiefs - Buffalo News
- Bills report card: Buffalo gets colossal break against Chiefs to stay in wild AFC playoff race - Democrat & Chronicle
- Capaccio: Arrow Up/Arrow Down: Bills at Chiefs - WGR 550
Even more Bills news
Take a look at where the Bills find themselves in the crowded AFC playoff picture following their win in Kansas City and learn how the victory had a nice, added benefit: moving Sean McDermott into second place on Buffalo’s all-time coaching wins list with 69.
- Where Buffalo Bills stand in AFC playoff picture after win at Kansas City - Buffalo News
- Buffalo Bills playoff odds skyrocket following win over Chiefs - newyorkupstate.com
- NFL playoff picture: Who will claim top spot in NFC? 49ers, Eagles or Cowboys? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Sean McDermott moves into second place on Bills all-time coaching wins list - BuffaloBills.com
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- On the shoulders of Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills outlast Kansas City Chiefs, 20-17 - Buffalo Rumblings
- Despite huge win, Buffalo Bills stuck outside AFC Playoff Picture - Buffalo Rumblings
- Kadarius Toney ruined amazing Chiefs touchdown after Travis Kelce’s lateral - SBNation.com
- Buffalo Bills DE A.J. Epenesa doubtful to return with rib injury - Buffalo Rumblings