Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane has only used one of his last eight first-round draft picks on an offensive player. The last time Beane focused on the offense in the first round he found Pro Bowl quarterback Josh Allen, which has turned out well so far for Buffalo’s GM.
With glaring needs at linebacker and along the defensive line, today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks examines whether the Bills will once again turn to the defensive side of the ball with their first-round pick.
Will Bills address defense in first round?
Since Beane came to Buffalo, Allen, the seventh overall selection in the 2018 NFL Draft, is the only offensive player drafted by the Bills in the first round. Before Allen, the Bills didn’t address the offense in the first round since selecting wide receiver Sammy Watkins in 2014. Linked below, making the argument for Buffalo drafting a defensive player in the first round, identifying defensive tackles and defensive ends who make sense for the Bills to draft, more more mock drafts, and revisiting the most recent trades involving the 27th overall pick.
- Why Bills could go defense for seventh time in last eight first-round draft picks - Buffalo Bills Blog- ESPN
- Could the Bills target defensive tackle in the NFL Draft? Examining the best fits - The Athletic (subscription required)
- NFL draft preview: After Jalen Carter, defensive tackle class full of role players, not difference makers - Buffalo News
- NFL draft preview: Depth at defensive end should allow Bills to wait to address pass rush - Buffalo News
- Buffalo Bills 7-round mock draft: GM pulls off a trade, attempts to land multiple weapons - newyorkupstate.com
- 2023 NFL Draft roundtable: How many top-10 trades? Where do the QBs land? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Recent history of trading the 27th pick - WGR 550
Even more Bills news and notes
We learn why Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott was named the NFL Network’s second fittest head coach, see how NFL teams would handle Round 1 of the 2022 NFL Draft if they were given a mulligan, revisit the touching essay Jessica Pegula penned about her mom — Bills and Sabres team president and co-owner Kim Pegula — as she struggles with a cardiac arrest incident, and more.
- NFL Network declares Bills’ McDermott the second fittest coach. Here’s why he works out - Buffalo News
- 2022 NFL redraft: Sauce Gardner to No. 1, Garrett Wilson leads WR reset of top 10 - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Jessica Pegula on writing about mom Kim’s illness: ‘It kind of all clicked into place’ - Buffalo News
- 12-year-old invites Bills QB Josh Allen to attend sister with epilepsy’s Allen-themed birthday party - Buffalo News
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills conducting “extensive research” on top-30 pre-draft visitor, OL Steve Avila - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills hosted free-agent RB Latavius Murray, per report - Buffalo Rumblings
- TE Payne Durham meeting with Buffalo Bills on pre-draft top-30 visit - Buffalo Rumblings
- AFC East Roundup: Previewing scheduled picks in 2023 NFL Draft - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills bringing in TE Luke Schoonmaker for top-30 pre-draft visit - Buffalo Rumblings