The Buffalo Bills boast one of the NFL’s top passing attacks heading into the 2023 NFL season, but the competition for targets beyond Pro Bowl wide receiver Stefon Diggs and No. 2 wideout Gabe Davis is expected to be fierce.
The Bills brought in Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield, and Andy Isabella and drafted rookies Dalton Kincaid and Justin Shorter to strengthen the depth of their receiving options.
On Saturday, during the team’s 23-19 win over the Indianapolis Colts to open the preseason, second-year wide receiver Khalil Shakir continued to show both the good and the bad aspects of his game.
In today’s edition of the Buffalo Rumblinks, we discuss why the up-and-down performance of Shakir is troubling, and how he’s trying to put those miscues behind him.
WR Khalil Shakir’s up-and-down preseason continues
Shakir finished the preseason opener with two catches for 25 yards, including a 20-yard catch to convert a 3rd & 12 situation. But as great as that catch was, Shakir is catching heat for failing to catch a perfectly thrown pass from Kyle Allen later in the drive that would have converted a 3rd & 5 and kept the drive alive. Instead, Shakir dropped the ball, forcing the Bills to settle for a 40-yard field goal from Tyler Bass.
Linked here: how Shakir is looking to become more consistent as he fights to be Buffalo’s third receiver, and thoughts from head coach Sean McDermott on both Shakir’s progress and how several of Buffalo’s younger players took that next step forward vs. the Colts. Plus, reassessing several key positional battles, more observations from Buffalo’s Week 1 preseason win, learn how the Bills received good news about injuries suffered by Tommy Doyle and D.J. Dale, and more!
- Bills’ Khalil Shakir looks to put drop behind him in heated wide receiver competition - Buffalo News
- McDermott thought a few young players took step forward - WGR 550
- Bills Mailbag: Resetting the positional battles after preseason game No. 1 - Buffalo News
- Simon: Observations from Bills’ preseason opener - WGR 550
- King of the preseason: Matt Barkley shines again for the Bills - Democrat & Chronicle
- NFL preseason 2023 Week 1 takeaways and schedule - ESPN
- Bills get good news on injuries to Tommy Doyle, D.J. Dale - Buffalo News
- Buffalo Bills fans excited for the new year at the start of preseason - WKBW
Even more Bills news and notes
Which Bills have used training camp to improve their chances of making the 53-man roster, see where Josh Allen sits on ESPN’s quarterback rankings by trait, and more!
- Bills camp debrief: Which players helped themselves the most ahead of preseason? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- NFL Quarterback Council 2023: Ranking top 10 QBs by trait - ESPN
- Erik Brady: A ‘Go Bills’ from star Jennifer Garner surprises Wegmans shopper - Buffalo News
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills vs. Colts: Trends after NFL preseason Week 1 action - Buffalo Rumblings
- Opinion: Different types of biases at play for NFL teams, fans as football kicks off - Buffalo Rumblings
- For Buffalo Bills S Damar Hamlin, proof continually reveals itself on-field - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills player scouting reports in 90 days: TE Dawson Knox - Buffalo Rumblings
- 2023 Buffalo Bills Rookie Report: Shorter a potential special teams ace - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills player scouting reports in 90 days: DT Jordan Phillips - Buffalo Rumblings