It’s been a common theme of the last few offseasons for the Buffalo Bills. In order to take that next step forward, the team needs to find ways to generate more pressure on the quarterback and come up with more game-changing plays — something that starts with Buffalo’s pass rushers and defensive tackles.
If the Bills need a blueprint, they can look at the Philadelphia Eagles, who last season rode a dominant pass-rushing presence to an NFC Championship and an appearance in the Super Bowl. The Eagles saw four players record at least 11 sacks in 2022, and Buffalo’s defensive line has been working hard to mimic the success Philadelphia enjoyed last year.
In today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks, we discuss why the pressure is on Buffalo’s defensive line to generate more pressure on the quarterback and make more impact plays this year.
Pressure is on Buffalo’s pass rush to get after the QB
This offseason, the Bills inked veteran edge rusher Leonard Floyd to a one-year deal, extended defensive tackle Ed Oliver, brought in defensive tackle Poona Ford, and re-signed defensive end Shaq Lawson and defensive tackle Jordan Phillips to complement a defensive line that also features future Hall of Famer edge rusher Von Miller and up-and-coming edge rusher Greg Rousseau.
Buffalo’s defensive line knows it needs to generate more pressures, more pass breakups, and more sacks while making more of an impact on the game, and its pass rushers have set a lofty goal for the upcoming year: “put the league on notice and dominate to the best of all of our capabilities,” according to defensive tackle DaQuan Jones.
Learn why domination is the goal for Buffalo’s defensive line, find out why the Bills’ defense has the potential to be great in 2023, and hear from defensive end A.J. Epenesa on how he plans on playing a pivotal role as the Bills set their sights on the Super Bowl.
- Pass-rush goal for Bills’ defensive line: Domination - Buffalo News
- Carucci Take2: Bills’ pass-rush improvement requires impact from Leonard Floyd and incumbents stepping up - WGRZ
- Sacked: Can Buffalo Bills' New Pass-Rush Duo Be Among NFL's Best? - Sports Illustrated Buffalo Bills News, Analysis and More
- ‘Everybody can eat’ | Bills veteran additions bring versatility, tenacity to defense - BuffaloBills.com
- Epenesa aims to be ‘pivotal piece’ to Bills success in his contract year - Democrat & Chronicle
Updates on Buffalo’s wide receivers
The Buffalo Bills seem poised to once again feature one of the NFL’s most dynamic aerial attacks, led by quarterback Josh Allen and Pro Bowl wide receiver Stefon Diggs. Learn how Diggs has been virtually unguardable so far during training camp, see what the Bills’ receivers are doing to improve their yards after the catch, learn why Andy Isabella has a “serious shot” at making Buffalo’s roster, and more!
- Stefon Diggs has been unguardable at training camp - WGR 550
- Bills working on boosting low yards after catch total – again - Buffalo News
- Former teammate believes Andy Isabella has ‘a serious shot’ to make the Bills - Buffalo News
- Ryan O’Halloran: Chad Hall takes lessons learned with Bills to help improve Jaguars’ receivers - Buffalo News
Even more Bills news and notes
Read thoughts on Buffalo’s first unofficial depth chart since opening training camp, hear how safety Taylor Rapp fits into Buffalo’s defense as a key puzzle piece, find out how starting guard Ryan Bates incorporated a new diet to better prepare for the upcoming season, get to know starting left tackle Dion Dawkins, and more!
- Ryan O’Halloran: Thoughts on the Bills’ first unofficial depth chart of preseason - Buffalo News
- Buffalo Bills DB Taylor Rapp Reveals His ‘Puzzle Piece’ Role - Sports Illustrated Buffalo Bills News, Analysis and More
- Ryan O’Halloran: Ryan Bates’ summer diet plan – 5,000 calories a day to prepare for defensive tackles - Buffalo News
- Dion Dawkins: Get To Know The Shnows | Buffalo Bills Beyond Blue and Red - BuffaloBills.com
- Buffalo Bills’ value crosses $4 billion in latest Sportico report - Buffalo News
- Catalon sees Bills as ‘the cream of the crop’ as he prepares for preseason opener - Buffalo News
- Bills running back Nyheim Hines has knee surgery - Buffalo News
- Buffalo Bills Foundation celebrates Double Up Awareness Week with community partners - BuffaloBills.com
- Buffalo Bills tickets: Where to buy online, preseason tickets, home opener vs. Raiders, more - newyorkupstate.com
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- Opinion: Revisiting the Buffalo Bills’ most interesting 2023 camp battles - Buffalo Rumblings
- NFL 2023 Top 100 list: Bills QB Josh Allen leaps to No. 8 - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills in 90 days: G O’Cyrus Torrence - Buffalo Rumblings
- Analysis: Predicting Turnovers for Buffalo Bills in 2023 - Buffalo Rumblings
- 90 Buffalo Bills player scouting reports in 90 days: RB James Cook - Buffalo Rumblings
- AFC East Roundup: Training camp standouts - Buffalo Rumblings