While the 2023 NFL season kicks off tonight, the Buffalo Bills have to wait until Monday night to open up their season. The Bills are once again expected to be in the Super Bowl hunt, but there were questions about who would start at several positions this year for head coach Sean McDermott’s squad.
Today’s edition of Buffalo Rumblinks leads off by discussing the news that McDermott had named starters at three key positions: Terrel Bernard will start at middle linebacker, Christian Benford will start at CB2, and rookie O’Cyrus Torrence had won the starting right guard job.
McDermott announces starters at CB2, MLB, RG
Who would earn the starting roles at those three positions were topics of speculation amongst Bills fans all offseason, and McDermott ended the speculation when he announced that second-year middle linebacker Terrel Bernard, second-year cornerback Christian Benford and rookie right guard O’Cyrus Torrence had won their respective competitions to start for Buffalo.
- Christian Benford, Terrel Bernard, O’Cyrus Torrence earn Week 1 starting assignments for Bills - Buffalo News
- McDermott announces starters prior to season opener w/Jets - WGR 550
- Bills position battles settled, injury list short: What McDermott said at press conference - Democrat & Chronicle
- Sean McDermott names Bills starting MLB, CB2 and RG ahead of Week 1 - BuffaloBills.com
- Terrel Bernard, O’Cyrus Torrence and Christian Benford on the work ethic to become a starter - BuffaloBills.com
S Micah Hyde dealing with back injury
The Bills were looking forward to having the dynamic safety duo of Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde patrolling the back of their defense this year, but Buffalo might be without the services of Hyde when the team opens the season against the New York Jets on Monday Night Football. Head coach Sean McDermott revealed Hyde is battling a back injury, among “a few other things,” and that his status for the opener is uncertain.
Plus, we hear from future Pro Football Hall of Famer Von Miller on why, despite having his surgically repaired knee cleared for a return, he felt he wasn’t completely ready to return to action at the start of the season.
- Bills’ Micah Hyde dealing with back injury, status uncertain for Monday Night Football vs. Jets - newyorkupstate.com
- Miller: Knee was cleared before roster decisions were made - WGR 550
Even more Bills news and notes
We find out the new role that former Bills assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has taken, and why he thinks this is the year Buffalo breaks through and wins its first Super Bowl. Plus, an update on the health of former Bills wide receiver Mike Williams, where the Pegulas rank among spending since taking over as the Bills’ owners, a survey of general managers, team executives and head coaches reveal who they feel will win this year’s major awards and offer up their power rankings, and more!
- Former Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier joins NFL Network, picks Bills to win it all - Buffalo News
- Pegulas rank fifth in spending since taking over Bills and first this year - Buffalo News
- NFL predictions: Decision-makers tip Patrick Mahomes, Justin Jefferson as 2023 award winners - The Athletic (subscription required)
- NFL execs rank AFC teams: Chiefs, Bengals lead way with Jaguars jumping up - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Update: Former Bills, Syracuse football player on life support after accident on construction site (report) - newyorkupstate.com
- Report: Buffalo native Mike Williams on life support - WGR 550
- Who would you rather be: The Buffalo Bills or Cincinnati Bengals? - The Athletic (subscription required)
- Former UB star Jaret Patterson among seven who work out for Buffalo Bills - Buffalo News
Recently featured on Buffalo Rumblings
- LB Terrel Bernard, CB Christian Benford, G O’Cyrus Torrence get the starts for Buffalo Bills season opener - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills S Micah Hyde reported to have back injury; won’t practice today. - Buffalo Rumblings
- Buffalo Bills begin 2023 NFL season near top of most NFL power rankings - Buffalo Rumblings
- Former Bills assistant HC/DC Leslie Frazier joins NFL Network as an analyst for the 2023 NFL season - Buffalo Rumblings
- Damar Hamlin’s life has been changed by football as much as he’s changed the game - Buffalo Rumblings
- Bills Reacts Survey: How many games will Buffalo win in 2023? - Buffalo Rumblings