Bills have reached a 2-year deal with Sanjay Lal to be their WRs coach, @ClaytonESPN— Mike Rodak (@mikerodak) January 17, 2015
Lal spent three seasons as the Jets receivers coach, where no receiver eclipsed 827 yards under his tutelage. In fact, only three times has a receiver eclipsed 500 yards in that time span. During his three preceding seasons with the Oakland Raiders as receivers coach, he had one season with more success under Hue Jackson, but two poor runs under Tom Cable.
Sammy Watkins becomes the third former first-round pick to work under Lal, joining Darrius Heyward-Bey and Santonio Holmes.
According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, the Bills requested an interview with 49ers receivers coach Ronald Curry, but were denied. He worked with new offensive coordinator Greg Roman in San Francisco.
This leaves just a few spots to fill on Ryan's first coaching staff in Buffalo, with running backs coach being the biggest hole to fill at this point. (Note that coaches marked with an asterisk have not been confirmed by the team.)
- Rex Ryan | head coach
- Greg Roman | offensive coordinator
- Dennis Thurman | defensive coordinator
- Danny Crossman | special teams coordinator
- David Lee* | quarterbacks
- Sanjay Lal* | wide receivers
- Tony Sparano, Jr. | tight ends
- Aaron Kromer* | offensive line
- Karl Dunbar | defensive line
- Jeff Weeks | assistant defensive line
- Bobby April III | linebackers
- Jason Rebrovich* | outside linebackers
- Donnie Henderson | co-defensive backs
- Tim McDonald | co-defensive backs
- Eric Smith | special teams assistant
- Eric Ciano* | head strength and conditioning
- Jason Oszvart | strength and conditioning assistant